The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (stlcardinalsguy, dunfire, Otto Skorzeny), 110 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,427
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
I've been lurking off and on for about a year now, but thought others would appreciate it if I shared my solution for brakes on my 1946 Chevy 2 ton dump truck. I rescued this thing from the woods and have now put it back into service. I'll start a "Introduction Thread," after I finish this one! So without further adieu, here's my brake system!

A few pictures to start
https://goo.gl/photos/Bt4DmrgVGejjJspD7
https://goo.gl/photos/xRaULcKAYrEAGSm66
https://goo.gl/photos/yAsz9RL8pvqURBuR7

Album of pictures related to this truck: https://goo.gl/photos/RZqdb4sSDLedh8Ka6

Parts list (Parts for my '46 may or may not fit your truck)

Front Wheel Cylinder: NAPA UP 3406 (1 1/4” bore)
Rear Wheel Cylinder: NAPA UP 3677 (1 1/2” bore)
Soft Brake Line (All 3): NAPA UP 4497 (16.5”, Male 7/16”-20, Female 7/16”-24)
Hard Brake Line: ¼” (Used stainless from Inline Tube)
Master Cylinder Bore Size: 1 ¼” (Same as 1985 Chevy C20)
Booster Size: 7” Single Diaphragm (Speedmaster PCE165.1008)
Brake Return Springs from Jim Carter Truck Parts (Front and rear are the same on 2 ton)
Rear Wheel Seal: SKF 31870
Front Wheel Seal: SKF 20702
2x Wilwood 10# Residual Pressure Valve (DONT GET THE CHEAP ONES)


My main goal was I wanted a cheaper alternative to the factory parts (150+ for a master and 200+ for a booster). The main goal was to mimic the factory system by using the same pedal geometry and hydraulic ratio as the engineers designed it with initially. I got this truck as a non-running, non-stopping hulk so I had no way to know if the system needed to be changed or not either. I also wanted to be able to have a more universal part to do easy parts swapping on if needed (contemplating discs up front in the future). So to keep it in the family and cheap I chose GM parts for the most part.

The master cylinder is from an 85 Chevy C20 with a gas engine. The engine type is important because the diesels and one tons came with hydraboost systems. The masters on gas engined trucks with a vacuum booster had a little bleed bole in the master for the unfortunate incident when the booster diaphragm ruptures it doesn't suck fluid out of the master cylinder past the seals. The reason I chose this master was because it has the same bore (1 1/4") as the factory master cylinder.

On to the booster. I choose the 7" single diaphragm booster because it is roughly the same size as the hydrovac booster that came off the truck. This booster appears to be the same one as Speedway sells, but can be had from Jegs for about a 1/3 the price. It also bolts up to a GM master and as you'll see in pictures and can reuse the clevis that came off the '46 master.

In one of the pictures you will see the key to it all, the offset pivot arm. This arm utilizes the same geometry as the factory bracket, just offsets the input and output planes such that they will both clear the new booster and push on it's input without any interference. The pivot arm bracket utilizes the two factory rivet holes from the old pivot arm and then two new holes below it.

Not pictured is my vacuum hose routing or my brake return spring that I found out I needed after I got it all together (my vacuum check valve was stuck making it feel like I didn't need a return spring...). The vacuum I piped across the truck from the original steel pipe using a chunk of PVC pipe and some vinyl washer hose (harder to crush than rubber). The brake spring is just a small screen door spring from ace that pulls back on the pivot arm, nothing special.

So that's what I have to share! So far it's working pretty good in my truck! I probably won't frequent here, but I'll check in from time to time. Feel free to drop me an email [email]tractorshopATgmailDOTcom[/email] if you have any questions on the system or truck in general.

Happy motoring everyone!

Last edited by roadhog0; 08/23/2016 4:54 AM.

-Nathan

1946 Chevy 2 Ton Dump
-Rusty, crusty, and get plenty of engine out services!
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
welcome to the site! Where in Washington are you? I am in Seatac. That is some great info! Thanks for the writeup!


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
How do you plan to solve the problem of one brake lining wearing out and the other one on the same wheel looking brand new? That was a chronic problem with Huck brakes 60 years ago, and still happens today.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
I'm out the Issaquah/Renton way. Seatac ain't far!

As far as wearing one shoe out first, I have no idea! Might need a few more years on that one!


-Nathan

1946 Chevy 2 Ton Dump
-Rusty, crusty, and get plenty of engine out services!
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Roadhog, we'll have to get together one of these days! I'm planning on being at the LeMay's show next Saturday with my 58.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
One of these days! I'll be around. Engine is currently out of the truck to fix the driver side oil galley plug (leaks). It's turned into a drill and retap the hole project instead of a quick R&R. But that's life with these old trucks!


-Nathan

1946 Chevy 2 Ton Dump
-Rusty, crusty, and get plenty of engine out services!
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
This is a good write-up. I contemplated doing this very same thing on my '50 1.5 ton. It too was a fossil when I got it. It has Huck brakes with a bendix hyrdovac. Before I spent the money though I decided to just start out with rebuilding the original m/c and bypassing the hydrovac just to see how it worked. Turns out it works great. The truck is now wired for electric trailer brakes and all my trailers have brakes on them so there isn't a need for any additional braking power when I pull something with it.

Edit: I was intrigued by your wheel cylinder sizes you listed. Mine has 1.5" cylinders on the rear axle and 1.25" on the front. Opposite of yours. Odd.

Last edited by mechanic58; 08/22/2016 8:35 PM.

1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Nope, you're right, I just wrote it wrong... I'll go back and edit that so people aren't confused! Thanks for catching that!!


-Nathan

1946 Chevy 2 Ton Dump
-Rusty, crusty, and get plenty of engine out services!
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
Your system looks very familiar.... https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...rake_conversion_on_a_46_.html#Post708681

Looks like great minds think alike. There have been a few people wonder how the drum brakes would work with this set up. I'm guessing pretty well?



Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
I actually looked at your thread and have been watching the yards for P30 parts to put discs on this in the future! So I guess great minds do think alike! I never saw what you did under the floor though, looks very similar! Only difference is I was a little more constricted on size due to the PTO for my dump box being on the driver side of the trans. Past that, same deal. I like it!

As far as how does it work with factory drums, works pretty good! Stops about as good as you can stop with four wheel drums!


Last edited by roadhog0; 08/26/2016 3:42 AM.

-Nathan

1946 Chevy 2 Ton Dump
-Rusty, crusty, and get plenty of engine out services!

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0