The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (FishinToms53, 3B, Otto Skorzeny, FAST55, MickeyP, pauld, Forty9, bluechev, Ole49GMC, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,628
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
Years ago I used PPG epoxy primer, DP50LF and did not use a reducer. As far as I remember it flowed very well.

This year I am using PPG DP50LV because the DP50LF is not available in Canada any longer. I have an HVLP gun and I am using it to paint tractor parts that have been sand blasted, washed and de-waxed/de-greased. I have the gun material feed wide open, as well as the air flow. I tried the recommended 10 psi at the cap, about 20 on the regulator. I tried increasing the psi, but it didn't help much. It came out orange peel. I went and picked up some DT1845 reducer and I'll mix a test batch tomorrow. However, anyone have any tips on using this primer, I would like to hear from you. I forgot to mention the tip is 1.5. mm.


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
1.5 is small for a high build primer. Most use 2.0 or even 2.5 for high build primers. 1.5 is going to be slow process on large panels.

More pressure ( within reason for that gun) more thinner, high temp thinner might be need if it's hot. Low flow or fast dry is the main cause of Orange peel.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Stick with your 1.5 tip... epoxy isn't high build primer.

The reducer should help. But raise the wall pressure up to full open and regulate final pressure at the gun.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
Thanks for the info. The data sheet does say 1.5mm is good. I'm going to go out and try the reducer this morning.


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
I feel like I should mail you some DP50LF. My paint rep gave us a gallon to try and I thought it was not good at all. He said some guys liked it some guys didn't. It was just too thick.

I would suggest you keep reducing it until you get what you want. Think about reducer as a tool that helps you get the product on and evaporates once it dries.

Good luck and I'll ask my painter tomorrow if he ever got it to lay down like the DP50. I know I couldn't get it to!


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
I added some reducer according to the data sheet. It's a little more tricky to lay down than the LF. It's hard to get the flow right so I don't get runs. I may try less reducer. It's okay though. I can wet sand any drips. It's a lot better than the orange peeling. My skills are not great with a spray gun, so I am not going to bad mouth the paint, because some of the parts I am painting are coming out great. I used the DT 1845 reducer.

Last edited by Super55; 08/02/2016 3:25 AM.

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 338
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 338
The Canadian LV or Low VOC laws have made it tricky in some products. The manufacturers can't suggest more reducer because it puts the VOC too high even though the product requires more reducer.
My suggestion is same as someone else's. .reduce to satisfaction. Dry times will be affected but not much else.


~~ Darcy

1959 GMC 9310 Canadian- built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe
FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Project Journals Forum
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 117
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 117
Hi what size of air line are you using hvlp guns need a lot of volume. Even if your using 3/8" line with 1/4" fittings its like using 1/4" line, although your getting the proper pressure it may not be getting enough cfm, try using high volume fittings, also your compressor has to be able to supply enough cfm for your gun to work properly, I had similiar problem with a different product and these are some of the things I had to address and are only part of getting a good paint job


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0