The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (klhansen, rfs56trk, Bill Hanlon, 1955 1 Series, DHedrick, Otto Skorzeny, 39Master85, greenie-reddy, Peggy M), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,399
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 63
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 63
My 1948 Chevy 3100 truck is completely restored back to factory original and I love driving it, which I do! At night however, I have had drivers behind me not stop as quickly and I think it is because my tail lights are not as bright as what the drivers are expecting. I have been wondering if I should convert my tail lights to LED for safety reasons (my safety and that of my truck!). Is there a good conversion that you recommend and will it handle my lights, brake lights and turn signals?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Most suppliers carry direct replacement twist in LED bulbs for our trucks. Someone will post a link for you to look at.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
6v or 12v? I find 6v LEDs to be lacking. You have incandescent options that are as bright as 12v. My 6v '38 on the left & modern 12v pickup on the right.

Last edited by Tiny; 05/23/2016 11:06 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
I bought 12V. bulbs at https://www.superbrightleds.com for my vintage trailer. Not because of brightness, but I wanted less amperage draw. (not sure I will for my truck though) With LEDs, make sure you get the same color as the lens it will be going behind. Red for your tail lights, Amber if behind amber lens, etc. Below are the part #s I bought.

67-A15: Amber marker light
67-R15: Red marker light
1157-R24-WV: 1157 Red 100 Degree tail light

amperage draw below:
LED Incandescent
tail 0.01 0.52
turn 0.07 1.86
both 0.07 2.31
marker 0.07 0.52





Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 63
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 63
My truck has been converted to 12v. If I use the bulb replacement, will I need to change flasher unit as well?

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
For 12 volt I would go with the united pacific lens. It has 45 bright LEDs built into the lens. Easy to wire and you wont need an LED flasher if you just have LED tails.

If your LED all around then you will need the flasher

...link...

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by clhaney
My truck has been converted to 12v. If I use the bulb replacement, will I need to change flasher unit as well?
Not exactly "restored back to factory original" then. I'm not criticizing the conversion, I've done the same in the past. I am pointing out the necessity of being accurate in what we say when asking for help. A person providing information about a 6v system when a vehicle was converted to 12v is a waste of time and effort and can serve to confuse the situation. Good luck with your project. chug


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 63
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 63
Mike, I looked up the bulb part number on their website and the 1157-r24 is out of stock and discontinued...my luck...

I will try to be more specific in my questions next time...

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Here is a link to a pic of my trailer lights. Light in the foreground is a regular 1157, light in the background has the LED I mentioned above.

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/69B-Cuda/media/Spartanette%20trailer/led%20in%20back.jpg.html

I am not sold that the LED lights are brighter, but as I showed in my previous post, they draw a LOT less amperage. My trailer is almost 37' from tongue t the tail lights, and with 2 1157 bulbs in each light, plus markers, and license plate light, I wanted the LEDs so I am not pulling as much current. Also, LEDs won't dim like incandescent bulbs with a slight voltage drop.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Dads50, those are a lot brighter than mine (just the replacement 1157 bulb). They look great on there!


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
If you just want to do an LED bulb conversion, they are available at the FLAPS, and even some department stores carry them now (Meijer does, anyway).


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Thanks

We also have the problem with tailgaters here , so I also added the 3rd brake light in the back window. Its held on with suction cups so can easily be removed.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by DADS50
Thanks

We also have the problem with tailgaters here , so I also added the 3rd brake light in the back window. Its held on with suction cups so can easily be removed.
We have the same problem here. I added a third brake light to mine as well, but mine is a vintage Hollywood Accessories unit. It even spells out what they need to do if just the light coming on doesn't get their attention. grin


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Another vote for United Pacific LED bulb replacements.
I also opted for a third brake light in the rear window,folks here don't 'get' red turn signals in the UK let alone tiny little ones so I fitted amber LED bed roll turn signals too.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
6v LED bulbs are available - this information is most likely not pertinent to this thread. They are as bright as 12 incandescent bulbs.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/6v/


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0