The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 113 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1163461 05/02/2016 6:06 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 19
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 19
I'm getting ready to wire up my heater in my 51 and have a few questions. I checked the motor by supplying 12v briefly using my power probe and it spins. I purchased a 12v to 6v inline voltage reducer, first question:

1) when I supplied 12v to the reducer it read 12v on the other end with my volt meter, does that sound correct? Is there a direction for the reducer? Does it need a load to work?

2) I didn't use the reducer and ran the heater briefly and it spun for about 5-10 seconds and stopped. I checked my 15 amp fuse and it had blown. What amperage fuse should I be using?

3) I'm assuming running the heater on 12v would eventually ruin it?

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
What kind of reducer? A 6v motor on 12 volts without reducing will last about 20 seconds before it's toast. Most reducers do need a load. Put the reducer in the positive line before the switch so the original switch also gets the benefit of the reduction. Read the part in yellow here..

http://devestechnet.com/Home/Native12VUpgrade#heatersystem


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 19
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 19
Dave thanks for the info. The reducer is just an inline that I bought from Tuckers. I had it wired between the switch and heater - it's a simple toggle switch as I don't have the orig switch.

I guess I'll wire it back I between the switch and heater and hope it doesn't smoke the heater!

Thanks again

Ryan

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Providing the reducer is made for heater motors, it will be fine. You will only get high heat with the switch you have, but if that's okay with you, you are set. When you are ready to do it more permanently, go back to that link and it's all there for you.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0