The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln, Shaffer's1950, walter74, J Lucas), 76 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,406
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Y
New Guy
New Guy
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
I saw a car modification show where the took a 1950's long wheel base f6 truck and removed the rivets holding the rear springs and axle on and slid the entire assembly forward. I understand the chevy have a taper on the frame at the rear but what is stopping one from doing the same thing. What would be the issues that may come up if you do this?

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
it will turn a lot tighter, it may scuff your front tires more while turning and wear them out a bit quicker, depends on how short you go! I had a 57 chev shorty wagon, (was 4 door, cut back doors out and welded back together) it was fun to drive and turned on a dime!


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by ykp53
I saw a car modification show where the took a 1950's long wheel base f6 truck and removed the rivets holding the rear springs and axle on and slid the entire assembly forward. I understand the chevy have a taper on the frame at the rear but what is stopping one from doing the same thing. What would be the issues that may come up if you do this?

I believe others have made SWB trucks out of LWD trucks as you mentioned. Take some measurements to see what may work. If it fits your needs better, go for it. Of course you would have to source a new driveshaft.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I believe most trucks shops would cut the mid section out and weld/plate it back together leaving the tapered/thin frame in tact. If you slide the axle forward on the frame rails you will be raising the rear of the truck up (higher tailgate to ground) which will also change the front end alignment.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Another factor is the crossmembers at the spring hangers, they may not be the same as the ones further up. It'd be smart to again incorporate crossmembers directly at the spring hangers.

That sliding up trick works on some trucks with identical crossmembers and parallel frame rails, same height.
Like Mike points out, not as good an idea when the frame has taper to it.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Shorting a wheelbase by cutting some out of the middle is common practice. I recently cut about 4 feet out of an old flat bed to make a truck tractor.

Before: https://plus.google.com/u/0/1126369...0762756002&oid=112636930370126476644

After https://plus.google.com/u/0/1126369...7757214978&oid=112636930370126476644

This is an old fire truck that I am making a truck tractor out of.

Before: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNCJw0ZKa7_2Z4uEEmQgLHk5yaPWk30-i5OEbu0


After: https://plus.google.com/u/0/1126369...4006668450&oid=112636930370126476644

I run a tape measure from the left front U-Bolt to The RR and a tape from the RF to the LR to make them square. I use 4 jack stands and a level at the cut to get the front and rear frame rails level and then put them together with a glove inside the frame. They are just as strong and probably straighter than when they left the factory.

Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 170
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 170
And here I am thinking I might need to add some extra length to my frame. I wish we could trade problems!

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Adding to wheelbase is no different than shortening it. Only difference is that you have to make two splices on each side instead of one. Too bad that you are not closer, I have several 4' sections on my scrap iron trailer.

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 113
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 113
I would like to shorten mine so that a 12' flatbed would look right. However, I need about 3' of the tapered section of the frame behind the rear axle first. American LaFrance chopped it when they made it into a fire truck. Once I have that section back to spec I can decide how much to cut out of the middle. Btw, does anyone have one of the cross members from the middle section they dont need from a taskforce 2 ton?


1959 Chevy 8500 - Spartan 80
366 BBC
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Gene,

I sent yopu a PM...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0