The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, tclederman, walter74, LAROKE), 133 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,122
Posts1,056,332
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
That was a saying that an old buddy of mine used whenever we were lifting heavy STUFF.
Ed's long gone now and I never even thought to ask where he got it from,
we always knew what he meant by it.

I'm just an old retired guy now a days, I never reached the status of tool & die maker, but I've been cranking
handles on lathes and mills ever since I was a kid as my pop and big brother always had a mill and lathe in the
basement shop. Also on the job over the past 50+ years I've drifted in and out of the machine shop when the need
arose. In my home shop I've had my Logan 10" and round ram Bridgeport for about four decades.
Now for about half that time, I've had this 1912 Lodge and Shipley 16" selective head waiting to put back in
service. This is finally the winter and I'm putting the finishing touches on what it needed to get it running
again.
Problem is.....at 73 close to 74....I don't what to strain my milk lifting those big old three and four jaw
chucks into place. My shop area is like stuffing 10lb. of crap into a 5lb. bag, in other words, it's pretty
crowded and the Large & Shapley lathe is in a rather awkward spot to get the cherry picker maneuvered in.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/158511117/large
I need to cover the length of the bed so I can pull the tail stock or load a heavy work piece into place.
I'm planning on rigging up some kind of hoist over the lathe, probably with a Reese Winch or something similar.
The wall behind the lathe isn't sturdy enough to hang a Jib from so I'm going to have to hang something from
the 2x8 floor joist 8' above the bed. Oh....and the other thing is....it's gonna have to be something I can fab here
in the shop and something inexpensive, remember now....I'm an old retired dude on a fixed income.
Any ideas to get the juices flowin' and get me started at the drawing board????

Denny Graham
Strained to the limit in Sandwich, IL


Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/20/2016 2:13 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
Nice shop and setup.
How about using something like a sliding garage door system.
Uni-strut attached to all the floor joists to spread the load out and rollers that would run it the uni-strut.
1/4 ton hoist attached to the rollers would be all you would need.
I have seen this setup before for light loads and they worked good.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Small I beam bolted across the joists to spread the load. Longer than the machine so you can drop things to the ground. Then find a trolley and hang your winch from it.

If you had more head room, I would say you could set up a rail system. Which you probably could still do if you set the rails along your joists, above the bottom of them, the width of the room. Attach some rollers to your I beam so the beam hangs and rolls on your rails. Then trolley for your winch. You'd have to get creative with the lighting, maybe attaching the fixtures out from the wall as opposed to hanging them.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Hang something like this from the ceiling. Mount your winch to it rather than a door. You can get the hardware from Home Depot.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I was going to say all that Don already said...
To add to those ideas here is a link to the unistrut and trolley stuff.
http://www.eberliron.com/store/category/Unistrut_Trolley_Assemblies/1056.html
I think this would be better than barn door hardware in this case, and more compact.

For the hoist I'd want manual control for carefully positioning things, not electric or air.
Something along the lines of a 1/4 ton chain hoist would be about right. Might find one with a loop of chain to operate it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-ton-lever-chain-hoist-67144.html

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
I know just enough about rigging and hoisting to know that it's no joke. Does anyone have some idea what sort of strength/ dimension of a wood beam would be needed for a chain hoist attaching point? For a beam that might see a max of 1000 lbs and spanning about 12 ft?

Here's my situation:

* Got a "garage/shop" (some call it a john deere room) and one end of my walkout basement. Concrete wall on one side, stud wall parallel separating the finished portion. Probably 12 ft wide or so with joists above crossing perpendicular. A "cherry picker" can and has been used in this area but takes up way too much room.

I don't want to use a joist for the beam, even if I doubled one, because I see some risk to the tile floor above. (Pulling down the sub floor above).

My thought would be to rest a beam across this area, in an existing joist cavity, but isolated from the joists. The very heaviest thing I would ever try to lift would be a stovebolt engine (600-700 lbs). Would also be very handy for lifting the front of the zero-turn lawnmower for under-deck maintenance (probably secured with jack stand after lifting).

Probably would get a manual 1-ton hoist as overkill. Just need to spec the beam and figure out attaching point (eyebolt vs chain or cable looped over the beam).


1951 3100
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 339
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 339
Denny you might check out McMaster-Carr in there pulling and lifting sect.,#3626t11 and #3310t212. root

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Strained my danged milk today! I feel like I'm laying on bag of baseballs, and keep making ole man noises. I thought we are supposed to get smarter as we get older...


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
So...that's what I did. Good for 300lbs which is more than I'll
ever load/unload to/from the lathe:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/162516819
tks for the ideas guys.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
That's a very nice setup Denny!
I was thinking of just a single beam. Your bridge setup is so much better.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
Looks good Denny!
That should do you well.
Edit: Like Grigg said, I visioned a single rail.You took a general idea and improved it.

The only things that may get in your way are the lights.
Most of the shops I have worked in had the 4 foot lights hanging from threaded 3/4 water pipe attached to the lathe headstock.
Vertical, a 90 elbow and then a horizontal.
The elbow was not tightened and you could swing the light out of your way to load/unload the machine.
Just food for thought.

Don

Last edited by 2-Ton; 02/08/2016 2:50 PM.

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Put hooks at 90° to the far end. I just swing the end over the
bed over to the other hook and then I can use the whole length
of the rails. I won't be using the crane that often, only to
change chucks, which is pretty seldom, and maybe to lift
something heavy into the chuck, like a crank.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
Denny
I thought you would have it planned out some how.

But, and here is the but, about changing chucks.
Once you get used to a four jaw chuck, you will never go back to a three jaw.

Kind of like water skiing, once you learn how to ski on only one ski, you never go back to skiing on two skis.

That is a nice system that you have built and I can be jealous!
Do you need any indicators, mags or mics?
My machining days are probably over, and I still have most of my tools.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Not really Don, but thanks. Been collecting for half a century
myself. I'd love to have a good digital height gauge but I'll
have to be satisfied with my 12" vernier height gauge, just
a bit more work now that those lines have gotten so small.

dg

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/09/2016 5:33 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
That's awesome.

I've spec'd out some much larger bridge cranes (5-10 ton), but that one is just cool. thumbs_up


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
Vernier scale, not too many machinist now a day even know what that is.
Ran an old 6" hoz. gantry G&L mill years ago, that you rode on a platform.
Vernier scale on the hoz. was six to ten feet below with a light on it. You had to look thru a microscope type of lens to focus in and read it from the platform, or climb down close and read it.
Edit: Floor type Hoz mill.
It was also equipped with a DRO, but always like to check the vernier to make sure on the big stuff.
http://fultoniron.net/

Don

Last edited by 2-Ton; 02/09/2016 2:24 PM.

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Had one like that at Fermilab in the main machine shop, called
it the "Queen". We had a lot of old surplus Navy machine tools
when I started there in the 70's. A particle accelerator is a
huge machine to find the smallest of things and it took a lot
of big machine tools to make the machine.
Cut my teeth on vernier instruments. I handed my daughter my
Post slide rule once and she thought it was some kine of
musical instrument.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Denny,

I'm a little late to the party, but after looking at your pictures I have a concern. It doesn't look like there are any bolts going through the joist, so I'm assuming you just lagged the strut to the bottom of the joist. If you attempt to pick a load up from one of the corners you will have the entire load hanging from just one screw which could pull out of the joist.

Here's the way I'd support the system (see link), at least on the corners. I hope you already have something and I just don't see it! Would hate to hear you dropped some heavy item and got hurt.

http://s160.photobucket.com/user/st...5254_zpsm2tivmo0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 219
Not sure If you are a welder but if you check out roustabout lifts you might get some ideas to build one. You can probably build one from a broken engine hoist and an electric winch.

Just so you have an idea:

Broken engine hoist:
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/5471927577.html

Roustabout:
http://bubbatool.com/product/sumner-r-250-15ft-roust-a-bout/?gclid=CISSweWascsCFQsnHwodKaAPeA

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 54
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 54

Last edited by danzimbric; 03/12/2016 6:23 AM.

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0