Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,092 Posts1,056,457 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 443 Stovebolt Photo Moderator | | Stovebolt Photo Moderator Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 443 | My ODSS brothers, Mike B, Chris and 53-green 1-ton helped me get my 216 started last year. I was never able to seat my intake/exhaust manifolds seated sqaurely against the head. I tried everything - even a different manifold set. Then it hit......I looked closer at the rings that go between the intake and head. They look to be home-made and of different depth. And too deep. I bet they are made from old exhaust pipe stock. I have 2 questions: 1) For test stand purposes can I run the motor without them, 2) are after market replacements available. If not I guess I will grind these down an 1/16" or so to get them to seat without creating a holiday between the manifold and the head. Thanks - Joe PS: Mike B - I had that Zenith carb rebuilt, what a difference ! 1947 - 3800 dually known as "Deadwrench"Link to a few photosIn this world there are givers and takers. The takers eat well, the givers sleep well. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,829 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,829 | It's a pretty simple task to narrow your home-brewed rings a little, but yes, replacements are available. There's even a set of stepped rings for fitting a 216 manifold to a 235 head, which has different manifold and head hole diameters. I'd use my lathe for fitting purposes, but a vise and a file will also work if you support the rings with a piece of dowel rod or something similar to keep from collapsing it while you file or grind the thickness down a little. Try some of the antique parts vendors who advertise here. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 123 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 123 | | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 245 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 245 | Patricks has the stepped adapter rings in his catalog. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | I made some for my 302, just get some tubing that is too big, cut a piece out 'til the correct dia., then weld if you wish.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 443 Stovebolt Photo Moderator | | Stovebolt Photo Moderator Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 443 | I see where this is going, I will work with the rings I have by sanding/grinding them until I get a flush fit. Thanks for all the suggestions Bolters. 1947 - 3800 dually known as "Deadwrench"Link to a few photosIn this world there are givers and takers. The takers eat well, the givers sleep well. | | |
| |