The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (UtahYork, Millenimech, klhansen), 168 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,289
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 67
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 67
I have bought other parts he makes for my 7.3 swap in 49 6400.I have moved my gear box forward of axle and power steering. Worked inside fenders mostly for ps pump. Moved engine forward then very limited fire wall mods. Just enough fire wall mod to clear down pipe from turbo. Moving radiator forward about 5 inches .


29 Ford
http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/c...4-BF50-713F5EDE5632_zps8zoj9vfq.jpg.html
31 Ford
55 panel
95 4 door power stroke
49 chevy 2 ton
47 2 ton grain bed w/ hoist.
Many trucks waiting
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
Mike B: so it's a 2ton and not a 2.5ton? Is the difference just spring pack size?

Thanks for all the other info everyone. I'd go with a 350, but I have a pretty decent 454 just taking up room in my barn. Plus I just like big blocks. smile

Chuck I checked out that guy's videos of the diesel in a '58, he does nice work! Moving the engine forward might be an option for me also, we'll see how things fit. I bought a set of corvette valve covers that have the indent in the back for better clearance, I hope that works. I'm very interested in your power steering conversion, I've been contemplating that conversion to make it easier for the kids to drive it, I can use this to teach them how to use a manual..haha.


Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
I hadn't thought about shifting the engine over to the right.. IIRC the tranny mount is curved, will the crossmember let the tranny move over to a new set of holes? I can't remember exactly what it looks like under there now, I'll have to crawl under it this weekend.

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
PS Mike I have a set of heavy lug 10R 22.5's off a semi that I'm going to have mounted on the rear, that'll help the effective gear ratio a little for highway travel. I don't recall for sure but I think what's on there now is 9r22.5

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
8flat,

The 1-1/2/2-ton trucks are different than the 2-1/2 ton, the frames are bigger as well as the springs. The fenders (larger wheel opening and flare) and grille are also different (extra opening below the grille bar). Take a look at my pictures in Mike's Garage (link in signature below). The blue farm truck is a 6400 and the Tow & Fire trucks are 2-1/2 ton.

The 10.00 x 22.5's will work fine on the rear, but they will rub on the front in the '56 (they work on the '57 and up front as the front axle is 2-1/2" further forward).

If you are going with the BB you will need to install new side motor mounts as I don't believe the BB has the bolt holes for the TF style front mounts. With that said, you can then remove the existing bell housing cross member and add a new trans mount and place the engine/trans where it works best for you (forward and to the right). You can also move your radiator from the V8 position to the 6-cylinder position which will give you more engine space (5 inches).

The 454 won't even break a sweat moving your truck, but it will like gas! I'm thinking somewhere in the 5-6 mpg range, loaded or not.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 67
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 67
Mike I would agree it would always want to turn into a gas station. A nice 6 L modern gm would provide entry of power with better mpgs. Add stand alone computer to control it. Or 4-6 bt cummins


29 Ford
http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/c...4-BF50-713F5EDE5632_zps8zoj9vfq.jpg.html
31 Ford
55 panel
95 4 door power stroke
49 chevy 2 ton
47 2 ton grain bed w/ hoist.
Many trucks waiting
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
I would love a GM 6.0liter LS engine, that would be the perfect route, but would take a lot more time to convert. Oh well, I'm not too worried about MPG in a giant truck that won't get driven that often.

Originally Posted by Chuck malone
Mike I would agree it would always want to turn into a gas station. A nice 6 L modern gm would provide entry of power with better mpgs. Add stand alone computer to control it. Or 4-6 bt cummins

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
Thanks Mike. I found a nice set of universal motor mount bracketry from Welder Series. I also have an old set of BBC headers I have no problem modifying, so hopefully we can clear the steering sector without to much difficulty.

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. Cool pics, I like your truck collection!
Gary

Originally Posted by Mike B
8flat,

The 1-1/2/2-ton trucks are different than the 2-1/2 ton, the frames are bigger as well as the springs. The fenders (larger wheel opening and flare) and grille are also different (extra opening below the grille bar). Take a look at my pictures in Mike's Garage (link in signature below). The blue farm truck is a 6400 and the Tow & Fire trucks are 2-1/2 ton.

The 10.00 x 22.5's will work fine on the rear, but they will rub on the front in the '56 (they work on the '57 and up front as the front axle is 2-1/2" further forward).

If you are going with the BB you will need to install new side motor mounts as I don't believe the BB has the bolt holes for the TF style front mounts. With that said, you can then remove the existing bell housing cross member and add a new trans mount and place the engine/trans where it works best for you (forward and to the right). You can also move your radiator from the V8 position to the 6-cylinder position which will give you more engine space (5 inches).

The 454 won't even break a sweat moving your truck, but it will like gas! I'm thinking somewhere in the 5-6 mpg range, loaded or not.

Mike B smile

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
Update: pulled the engine last weekend, and decide what the hell, as long as we're this far I may as well pull the tranny and have it checked out. It pops out of 3rd gear and the input shaft has a lot of play so the front bearing probably needs replaced. I'm going to see about getting it rebuilt.

Last edited by 8flat; 02/15/2016 5:03 PM.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
8
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
8 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
Update: just got the 454 back with a fresh bore, machined crank, and rebuilt heads. Now we just have to put the engine together! Love this stuff.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0