Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
11 members (Gdads51, Joe H, HandyAndy, greenie-reddy, Simso, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck, Gib70, 3B, Peggy M, 1 invisible),
127
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,103 Posts1,056,183 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 | On my 1950 1/2 ton I want to replace the parking brake cables I have everything unhooked but can't figure out how to get cable out of the bracket that is attached to the frame just behind the yoke. The bolt is removed and the cable will turn but will not move forward or back - What am I missing? photo Thanks!
1953 3100
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 789 Former BMW Rider | | Former BMW Rider Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 789 | The cables or their remains, were rusted into the frame brackets on my truck too. I carefully opened up the bracket with a screw driver and both cable slid right out. Maybe a shot of penetrating oil would help free them up. As a last resort, you could heat the bracket with a torch.
Good luck, | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have removed them, carefully, as recommended by Andy.
I have also broken the bracket by trying to spread it too wide (it is not a very flexible metal (it might be some sort of cast metal). | | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 | Great thanks - I will give it a try!
1953 3100
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 | That worked - Thanks! I have the old one out but the new one is just a little too big to go in. Do I try to bend the bracket more - the new cable is a little different from the old one see photo - it says it is the right one for my truck.... Any suggestions? Does anyone have a picture of a new cable like this installed? http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/swindsors/new%20cable/new%20cable_zpsplc7rjfu.jpgThanks
Last edited by Cletus1950; 01/15/2016 10:44 PM.
1953 3100
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I had problems with reproduction cables for my 1954 Chevrolet 1/2 ton trucks.
Luckily, a member here was selling GM NORS cables that fit fine (and, allowed me to request/get a full refund sending the reproductions/replacements back).
One "solution": drill-out or ream-out the hole for the replacement cable - do not overdo it | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 75 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 75 | Just finished installing new cables in a '53 1/2ton and used Mr. Lederman's suggestion. I reamed the bracket hole out a small amount with a rat tail file. Also pay attention to his last comment "do not overdo it"!
'53 3100 Short Bed Texas Peace Officer - supporter of the Badge and the Blue Line Pain is part of life, Misery is an option.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 | Hello 5ptstar
do you have any pictures of the finished install? I guess my question is how much of the metal piece goes in the bracket? Also am I correct in assuming you have to make the hole large enough to slide the metal end all the through from the back?
Sorry for the dumb questions Thanks!
1953 3100
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 75 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 75 | I don't have the final adjustments made at the bracket, but it looks like the metal cover is going to be at the front of the bracket. If you have access to the Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual-48 to 53 models, the sketch (fig. 19) on page 10 of section 5 also appears to show that.
'53 3100 Short Bed Texas Peace Officer - supporter of the Badge and the Blue Line Pain is part of life, Misery is an option.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 78 | Success! Thanks guys
I used a drill stepping up 1/64 at a time until the cable slide in with a nice snug fit
1953 3100
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | |
| |