Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, 5cameo8, MNSmith, TUTS 59, 2 invisible),
125
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,380 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 67 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 67 | Hi hipop. Folks I'm trying to get all the info on ifs swaps. I'm building a 49 6400 with a 7.3 hi perf. Diesel in it. I'm currently working on getting a p-30 ifs under the front by narrowing it to fit my frame. It will be a touch wider on wheel width which I'm fine with. Just like to hear more about others mods for ifs. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | It would be great if the frame were extended a slight amount to fit the IFS suspension, if the tires do not stick out the fenders. Does a P-30 or 3500 solid axle fit as-is?
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Also consider this disc swap keeping old axle beam. Might allow more room for engine than IFS does. https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1135069/Disc_brakes_for__3/4,_1,_1.5,_.html#Post1135069 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 67 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 67 | The tires will be a little wider than 2 inches each side than stock . Similar look as sherocoms 46 after choping cross member. If there a little too wide I'll widen fender. This is my direction and I'm on a quest! Maybe?? This truck will produce over 500 horse power and I want an ifs to steer it. So I'm trying to gain knowledge. I believe talk it think measure it and repeat it unti positive | | | | | Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 67 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 67 | Worked on truck yesterday 3 degrees in shop when I started. Got final measurements and cut 4.75 inches out of the middle of the crossmember. I've asked so many questions on this from reading Sherocom 46 post on his truck he had stated that he only removed less than 2 inches I believe 1.25. That confused me since his 46 is a narrower frame by approx. an inch.my 49 required almost 5. That leaving me 2 inches wider wheel width depending on wheel I use. | | |
| |