The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,075
Posts1,056,279
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Guys ive been trying to come up with a solution for my busted 2 speed rearend. Ive thought of replacing it with a dana 80 from a p30 van. I'm also thinking of just swapping the third member out two a single speed. I'd like to here your opinions. Also i'd like to verify that the single speed with fit right into my 2 speed rear housing and match my axles. I have found a single speed diff but it is going to cost me 600 including shipping. I'd hat to get it and find out that it doesnt fit or that I also have to swap axles
or anything else. The numbers on my rearend now are:
3711468
GL109
Can you confirm that these numbers are a 15000lb axle?
From my searching I have found that the 2 speed axle is called a gm t-150
and the single speed is called an h-150. This is for the 15000lb axle.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
What year/series is your truck?

Can you confirm the "G" is really a G and not a C.

Also, what are the numbers on the single speed rear?

Mike B

Last edited by Mike B; 01/07/2016 5:18 PM.

Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Mike yes it is C. I dont have the numbers on the single speed. I will see if I can get them tomorrow. My truck is a 59 gmc 350.

Last edited by bcgmc; 01/08/2016 2:47 AM.
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 152
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 152
If you could use another 2 speed, I have one from a 1965 GMC 4000 grain that has low miles on it.


Oldbolter
1959 Apache 3800 dually flat bed/dump with 261
1956 3800 dually flat bed/dump with 235
1957 3600 flat bed, 350 engine, 700R4, PS, disc brakes, 14 bolt rear with 4.11 gears
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
If that is an offer for sale or for free please either use a PM or the appropriate section of the Swap Meet.

Thanks,
Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
bcgmc,

I can't find the 3711468 casting number in my Chevrolet books (didn't realize you had a GMC until just now)...maybe it's a GMC number?

I do find a GM 15,000 pound 2-speed rear with the code "CL" as being made from 1955-59, it's has 6.40/8.72 gears.

CL = Code
109 = date (October 1959).

Is it Vacuum or Electric Shift?

Why are you looking to swap to a single speed rear? The 15k GM/Chevrolet single speed rears had 6.17 or 7.20 ratio. I don't think you will see enough gain to make it worth the effort/money to swap from 6.40 to 6.17...(3.6% increase at 55 mph = +2 mph more).

Whats the ratio on the rear your looking to buy?

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0