| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,078 Posts1,056,283 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 91 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 91 | Ok all you experts. I am staring (starting) to plan the steps I have to take to paint the truck. 1) it is all in pieces 2) inside is bare 3) cab is of frame 4) dents are all removed. Now my question is 1) should I prime and paint each piece seperat 2) should I prime all pieces and than mount cap on frame and than assemble 3) should I mount cab and than assemble and than prime and paint.
All pieces are sandblasted and inner fenders and fender inside and bottom and fire wall in and out are painted with POR-15 Under dash board I used Zero rust in white, hoping I can shed more light onto the wireing harness when assembling. The roof and back wall inside has grey Zero -rusy coating. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 59 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 59 | 1)Prime all pieces while disassembled 2)Reinstall cab 3)Paint inside of cab and all areas that can't be painted when reassembled (door jambs, door interiors, fender/hood interiors, etc. 4)Reassemble doors, fenders, hood and align. 5)Paint exterior of reassembled cab 6)You didn't mention the bed, but I'm assuming it's in one piece and off frame. If so, then prime, paint and reinstall. If it's in pieces, the follow the same routine as for the cab.
Hey, I'm no expert but this is how the paint and body guy did mine and it worked well. 72 Sierra Grande - Maych Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | How long will it take you to assemble the truck, and what kind of primer are you using? Epoxy primes seem to stop rust from forming under primer better than other kinds. If you're like the rest of us and will take more than a week or two to assemble, I would recommend putting at least one coat of paint on everything before assembly, and finish coating what can't be painted later at that time. Then assemble the truck, sand and finish the paint job.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 91 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 91 | Thanks. for the advice. Both have soome good ideas. I have no metal box. I have a wooden dump box. The truck was a 1 to grain truck with a dump box. We are building a new flat deck with a hidden Ramp. The truck will be my car carrier for my Nash Metropolitan and any body else which needs a lift after they brake down. It will have only short wooden sides and no back gate, | | |
| |
| |