The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 2 invisible), 60 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1138316 12/07/2015 7:54 PM
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 33
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 33
There are 2 screws on my '53 GMC holding the rear brake hub to the axle. What are the purpose of these screws since the wheel nuts perform the same function like on newer trucks.
The reason I'm asking is I replaced the rear wheel cylinders and shoes but as soon as I secure the 2 screws, the wheel binds turning backwards on the drivers side. Turns forward fine. Any idea why the screws would cause this problem since it doesn't occur when they are not tightened. Got me stumped.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy ff171, I assume the two screws are holding the brake drum to the hub, when you tighten up the screws you bring the brake drum up tight against the hub, duplicating what the wheel and wheel nuts would do. So if you are experiencing a rub there may be a burr on the outside of the hub or the inside of the drum, maybe an errant piece of gasket material. If you can turn the wheel by hand in either direction when the screws are tight I wouldn't worry about it too much. Have you adjusted the brakes yet?

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 33
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 33
Thanks 3B, I did adjust the brakes and can turn the drum forward by hand but not backward when the screws are tightened and just on the left side. Just wondering why the screws would affect anything but I will check to see if there is something on the backing plate catching when moving backward.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0