The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Barry Martak, J Lucas, rfs56trk, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
I have a 1st series 55 five window short bed. Please advise what I need to be aware of with this transmission. It's out of a 1990 S10. What drive column would be recommended. Also mounting the master break cylinder under the cab or on the fire wall. I prefer it out of the way under the cab. Can I servise it okay?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy RB55, I'm a little confused by your question, are you or have you just acquired the 261 and 700R4 and you are wondering what you will need to do to install it in your truck? Are the 261 and 700R4 already married? As to the brake master cylinder, if you are contemplating converting to a dual master cylinder, there are kits available to mount them in the stock location. Does your truck currently have an open driveshaft?

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
The engine has the stock three speed column shift. It has an open drive shaft.

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
3B I plan on going with a disc break conversion front and rear replacing the old pads. There are so many deals out there. Do I need to be aware of the top of the line or is there a basic kit available. I would like a solid good for your penny kit.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy RB55, to mount the 700R4 to the 261 will require an adapter, possibly a special flywheel and a starter, I believe there are kits available to do this. One factor in this swap that is often overlooked is the throttle pressure linkage for the transmission, the throttle pressure adjustment throughout the r.p.m. range is critical to the life of the transmission. I am not aware of a kit to operate the throttle pressure cable correctly for our inline six induction systems, but some research on your part may locate such a kit. Another factor is the current engine rear crossmember, it will have to be modified/lowered to allow the transmission clearance for installation, also a new crossmember to support the rear of the transmission may be required. I am assuming that you are going to convert to front disc brakes only, although the way it is written in your answer one could get the impression that you might be going the whole disc brake route. You will require the disc brake kit of course, you will also require a "combination valve" to separate the two systems and adjust the pressures to each system for the best braking balance. Most dual master cylinder kits available when converting to front disc brakes use Corvette master cylinders which are designed for full disc brakes, to use that type of master cylinder for a disc/drum setup you must use a 10 p.s.i. residual pressure valve in the rear brake system. Good luck with your project, hope that helps.

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
Yes it has an open drive shaft.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
I'm not sure but the s-10 transmission may have a different bolt pattern than what is on the adapter for the 7ooR4 transmission. Yes you will need an adapter to bolt the transmission to a 261, they don't bolt together without the adapter.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 26
Hi 3B. Sorry for taking so long for thanking you. Ive finally figured out the "My stuff"tab to get right to the questions I put out and being able to answer. I'm at a stand still. I want to go
go with discs all around yet the kits are expensive and really vary in price. is there a sight out there that will direct one to options of swaping? I met a gentleman that has a cool 1913 Model T pickup that he has swaped out everything you can think of on that truck yet from the outside you cant tell. He said i should swap out a rear end with discs brakes already there. He
went on and on. Some people are very knowlegeable and experienced this way. It could be a big savings if you I had some guidance.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0