The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Danielbolt, Steelonsteel), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,492
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy me my first welder. it's most likely going to be a miller 211, if anyone has any feed back that would be great good or bad. I'm planning to weld my IFS on from jaminez brothers...

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Excellent choice for a home restoration project welder, go for it.
No more to be said!

dg



Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Excellent choice for a home restoration project welder, go for it.
No need to say more!

dg


Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/16/2015 4:39 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
In my search for the "right" MIG welder for me I considered many and decided on the Miller 252. Have been very pleased with it thus far and expect to be for many many years.

Can't speak to the 211..
But if you had considered the 252 I'm sure you'd find it real handy.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
You're absolutely right enough said!
I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Grigg,

Would the Millermatic 211 with cart (at about $1,200 after rebates, plus gas tank) be a bad choice for someone who:

- will not be welding often
- will not be welding anything bigger than 1/4 steel (and, no other types of metals)
- wants easy portability
- wants 230 and 110 volt operation (110/115/120 V & 220/230/240 V)

I/we have an older version of the 211 (only 120v) and it has not limited what we have needed to weld. I will be looking for a new welder next year (my "old" one will stay with my friend, Dave, here in NY).

211 with cart, before rebates

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Well, I just gotta say a tad more for the concern of anyone
else looking for a machine. I'll show some numbers one would
use in choosing a welder for home use. Listing the max duty
cycles of each machine, here's how they stack up. Like
stepping up a ladder, all depends on how high you want to
climb. All of these would be fine for the average home
fab/restoration shop and how deep your pockets are at
the time is the determining factor.

Specs:
211 @ 220v, output is 150a 40% duty cycle. $1138
FREE Miller Classic VS auto-darkening welding helmet special
($100 value). A plus is it's only 38lbs. A negative is you
have to stand the bottle in the corner or make a cart for it.

The machine I'm using.
212 @ 220v, output is 160a 60% duty cycle $1900

Also an excellent choice. Having made my living welding for
many years, had I been able to scrape up an extra $500 at
the time I would have gone with this machine also.
254 @ 220v, output is 200a 60% duty cycle $2500


Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/16/2015 2:07 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,606
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,606
I got a new 211 about a year and a half ago.
Tim describes my type of welding.
It's been a perfect fit and easy to use.
It was cheaper to buy the cart than, to make one myself.
Bought it from a local welding supply store. With cart, full tank and a couple small spools of different wire. Total price was 1400$.
\
Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
My 252 came in at $1,800 after 40% discount from Zoro and $100 rebate from Miller. Could have got another $100 worth of rebate/free Miller stuff had I realized it and ordered something costing that much at the same time.

The 211 looks like a pretty nice machine and ought to do anything you'd need for these old trucks.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 182
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 182
I got a 211 earlier this year and Tim's description also fits my usage.

The dual voltage was a significant selling point because the shop that I currently rent only has 110 V power, but I want the greater capability of 220 V in the future.

The portability is also convenient. Just this weekend I used it for some "remote" welding.

The infinitely variable voltage is a substantial upgrade from my old welder, which only had four voltage settings.

The cost delivered was $878 after rebates.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Thanks, everyone, for the clear and helpful information.

211 plus accessories - $1295 no tax, free shipping, after $400 rebate
• Miller Spoolmate 150 Spoolgun (301272)
• Miller Running Gear/Cart (301239)
• Miller 211 Cover (301262)

http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...der-spoolmate-150-and-accessories-907614

I'll check this out after I move to NC.

Sput - nice price - for future reference, from whom did buy your unit?

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,084
Can't go wrong with Miller....see tons of 'em on the back of welding trucks. After going back and forth I ended up getting the Lincoln 180HD at less the 1/2 the price of the 211. It's my first MIG so don't have anything to compare to, but beats the heck out of what I can remember from high school shop stick welding. I'm on my 5th 10 kg roll of wire and love it. It's a 220 and I made a heavy duty 20 ft extension cord to get more of the shop covered. Have not welded body panels yet though, just lot's of 1/4 and 3/8.


Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,833
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,833
I'm dragging this zombie thread out of the graveyard to ask one more question- - - -Northern Tools has a "Hobart Handler" dual voltage (115/230 volt) MIG unit on sale for $895.00, capable of using flux-core wire or bare wire with a gas pack, and can weld up to 3/8" thick mild steel in one pass. It's about half the price of similar-capacity Miller machines. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of welder?

Filled Argon and CO2 gas cylinders are going to run close to $250.00 apiece, after which I can swap them for refilled ones at a fraction of the cost. That beats leasing cylinders- - - -buying privately-owned ones catches up with leasing costs in about 2 years' time.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Jerry,

I've not used that specific one, but I'm leaning towards the Lincoln 210 MP . Does stick, MIG, and TIG. Comes in around $1200, but recently saw it on Lincoln's site for $899 or $999.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
Eastwood 175 with spool gun included and three year warranty for $500 is an alternative.


http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders...4JHpVNZKpiKhWUA6HxWVi5yUaDCVsaAiZp8P8HAQ

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,606
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,606
Spool gun looks like it would get to be a pain to use.
Large and heavy.
What are the advantages of having one?

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
They are for aluminum welding.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,606
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,606
Thanks SS, that makes sense.
Aluminum wire would not be stiff enough to push thru the hose lead.
I may have to check into one, just to play with.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,833
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,833
Spool guns can be a pain, but they're about the only way to MIG aluminum. When I was a pipefitter/welder for Gallo Winery in Livingston California, we built most of the platforms and stairways around the plant and the storage tanks from aluminum, and we burned a LOT of wire through spool guns. Doing all of that with TIG would have taken far too long!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0