The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 3
I just recently bought this truck and am trying to figure it all out.

My chevy 3100 is a 1954 but the shift box on it is like the one you see for 1953 with the 2 arms different lengths.

Photos for 54-55 shows both arms are suppose to be the same length, but mine is 1953 style shift box.

does it make a difference whether they are the same length or different length. are the boxes interchangeable?
Not sure what to do about this discrepancy

wm

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
There are a lot of variations in those boxes, shift rods, & trans covers. If they don't match it probably won't work. I have one from a 55 second series 6 cyl. It has equal length arms but I don't know if it would work or not.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The shift rods changed in 1954. I do not know if the shift box changed. Does anyone have a group number and/or a part number (for either/any one - 1953, 1954, 1955-2nd)?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
The unequal arm length will give you either a shorter or longer throw in either the 1st-reverse, compared to 2nd-3rd shifts.
I had that issue in my 50, and easily learned to live with it.
In fact, I like it since I can instantly tell when I am in first gear at a traffic light.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
I don't have Chev books. I don't find a whole shift box in GMC, but the box housing is from 47 to 53. 1954 is different. Some of the internal parts are the same. GMC has an exploded view in the transmission section which is 17. As mentioned earlier, you cannot mix and match shifter parts. And you can really wind up with a mess if you have things mixed up.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0