Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,098 Posts1,056,167 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 | I am curious if any 'Bolters' have had experience using Turbine Paint Spray Systems like those manufactured and sold by TP Tools of Canfield, Ohio. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | I have an old turbine type paint sprayer, but I don't use it... Old turbine type paint spayer 
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have an Accuspray 2-stage system now sold by 3M.
It is an excellent system. However, if you are used to compressed-air guns/systems, you should practice with the turbine system before finish painting. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 | Tim,
I have never used either system. So am inquiring to gather information on which way I should go. Like the fact that overspray and material usage is reduced and that the air is heated by the turbine.
John | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | John,
As you most likely know, with the turbine, there is no need to worry about the moisture or other contamination in/from a compressed air system/line. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 135 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 135 | I have an older model turbine from TP and I love it . I spray anything from cabinets to trim to automotive primers and enamels. I have painted chassis, firewalls, interior trim all without problems. Simple to learn and set up. The guy I got it from painted his airplane with it! Highly recommended!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 481 | Thanks Smittyschevy. Good to know. I am leaning in the direction of the TP Tools Turbine Paint System. Lots of high humidity in central NC and I am working out of a single car residential garage. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | How would it work on Urethane paints? Base/Clear? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | How would it work on Urethane paints? Base/Clear? My Accuspray 2-stage turbine unit worked very nicely with PPC DCC Urethane finish coat. No clear coat. It buffed out to a mirror-like finish.I would guess/bet it would work very nicely with BC/CC. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | You did that? Very nice. I will have to do some research into that. I use DCC and its a great paint, but my expertise leaves alot to be desired. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I did not do it - My friend, Dave, painted it.
He was skeptical of the HVLP, and of the turbine. In particular, he had to get use to holding the gun so close to the parts to be painted.
Not related to the turbine/HVLP: We had to color sand the DCC within 24 hours or it would have been too hard to sand easily. There is a lot of surface area to sand on a Suburban. It took three of us a good part of a day (just the Suburban body). | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | This all makes me so nervous and that is why my cab isn't done. There is only me and I have never wet sanded before. Watched a lot of videos and asked a lot of questions but that doesn't do much for my confidence. I HAVE to do this myself because I have two 1/2 tons almost ready and it would just be too expensive to farm it out. It's best anyway if I just suck it up and do it I guess.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I understand, Deve
That is why my friend Dave did/does the painting. I am not brave enough to try. I do anything/everything else on the trucks.
Nonetheless, my un-educated advice is to practice spraying and color sanding on spare body panels (if you have some). Others will have better advice than I can provide. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I am all ears when it comes to advice. Over the years I have gotten a lot of great advice right here. Thanks. | | |
| |