The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, 50Chevy3100, RdsLessTaken, DadsFirstPickup, tclederman, 1 invisible), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
I have a new spring but cannot install it such that it opens when hot. Anyone offer any help on this?

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Can you move the heat riser manually to verify that it's not stuck? Most that haven't been used for a while are stuck in whatever position they were in.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
yes it moves - but I do not know what position is for heat off and what position is for heat on

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I had the same problem, I even bought 2 just in case I had a bad one somehow, I just think they aren't really calibrated to anything, just some wound up bi-metallic material that is made to look similar enough to the original to get 10 or 15 bucks out of them. Whatever the case, when the counterweight is down the heat is off, when the counterweight is up (the spring is cold) the heat is on. I don't think mine ever had one since I have had it. And I have had it for 30 years, it started and ran just fine at 15 below. So I don't know how important the spring really is. The exhaust is bolted directly to the intake, so conduction is pretty good in that situation, not to mention the flapper inside is far from a tight seal. Also the intake sits over the exhaust for the full length allowing convection on top of all that. I do know if you force the flapper to remain in the heat on condition, the engine runs horribly.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
Looking from engine front rotate weight ccw for heat off. If you click on Tim's link above and go to previous page there is a great cross section picture. On my 216 the spring doesn't actually hold the flapper open but is relaxed enough to allow it to open under acceleration.


Ed
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
when you're looking at the spring the closed part of the hook should be facing you ,and to calibrate it you have to hold it and use a long nose plier on the center section and twist it tight or lose so it just opens the flap than when it heats up it will move the flap closed.

Pete

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by brokenhead
Whatever the case, when the counterweight is down the heat is off, when the counterweight is up (the spring is cold) the heat is on.
Interesting. Mine ('38 car) is just opposite. I verified that when I had mine apart. Maybe they changed somewhere along the line???? It couldn't be that I made a mistake. grin If I did it sure runs fine when hot.
Heat off position.

Last edited by Tiny; 08/31/2015 1:14 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
As Pete posted, it's hooked over the stop from the front.
From the driver point of view, the theromstate spring is
counter clockwise closed, winds clockwise open the butterfly:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/112537676
Looking from the front to the back the counter weight is down in
a clockwise position and counter clockwise it's nearly straight
up and down:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/112537670
DG



Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks for the help. On my 1948 216 the heat is off with the weight up rotated toward the engine (from the front of the engine CCW) and heat on with weight down. It was flooding real bad after I stopped hot, and I found out the heat was always on. Runs much better on todays 95 degree day with heat off.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
As shown in a link above:

Orientation of the heat control valve thermostatic spring.

Orientation of the heat control valve from the other side of the manifold (open/cold and closed/warm)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by tclederman
As shown in a link above:

Orientation of the heat control valve thermostatic spring.

Orientation of the heat control valve from the other side of the manifold (open/cold and closed/warm)
It is interesting to me that GM refers to that spring as an "anti-rattle spring"?!


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
the flapper is in the position to heat the intake manifold when the weight is in the uppermost position, (clockwise standing at the front of the engine), the flapper is in the position to bypass the intake when the weight is down, or the counterclockwise orientation standing at the front of the engine. I can determine this because I have the exhaust manifold in my hand looking at it. If I knew how to post pictures I would. But you are just going to have to take my word for it.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Nice video
DadEEo


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Danke Schoen

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Any suggestions on how to free a rusted flapper assembly, or how to remove and replace one?

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Hi DocFin,

I just finished rebuilding my heat riser. I followed Achipmunk's instructions. Read through the thread he started:

Achipmunk's thread

Good luck,


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,687
Mine is stuck in the "heat on/ open" position. How much run time (say...minutes) would it take to produce enough excess heat to affect how well the engine runs?


1951 3100
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
grin
Quote
If I knew how to post pictures I would. But you are just going to have to take my word for it.
Look at the last item in the left-hand column.
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Once upon a time I had a locked thread on how to post links to images as a sticky in the 'Bus but it's disappeared.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
yes Harold, but even that assumes even a rudimentary understanding of what is outlined. I don't have that. Peggy tried to help me before. Maybe soon I will figure it out.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The link pointed to on the left doesn't show HOW which is why I had the locked thread that I could point to when necessary. Harold, if you can't figure it out PM me and I'll step you through it. It's not difficult but the process isn't very intuitive.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Here you go Harold. I wrote up V2.0 of the tip. If you still have questions give me a holler.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0