The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (fonz8261, 1 invisible), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,317
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112273 06/23/2003 5:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 394
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 394
In the past I've used regular old cleaning solvents to prepare for my body fillers.Is there a recomended cleaning solvent prior to fillers? The dents to be filled are sanded right down to metal. frown

#112274 06/23/2003 8:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 46
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 46
just a solvent designed to give you the time to wipe or spray it on than wipe it off.


DUSTY G.

you can do anything you want as long as you have an O [censored] man in case you mess up
#112275 06/23/2003 3:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Basics of “surface cleaners”

They are commonly called “Wax and Grease Removers” but many manufactures have changed the name to “Surface Cleaners” or similar names. I think the biggest reason is because the name “Wax and grease remover” implies that they will actually clean all of the wax and grease off the surface. The other reason for a name change is the simple point that wax and grease are only a few of the contaminants that you battle against while painting.

The basic idea behind these cleaners is simple, they are designed to lift the contaminant up off the surface long enough for you to wipe it away. The surface MUST stay wet and HOLD those contaminants up in the cleaner for you to wipe off with a clean/dry rag. That is mistake most make, they let it dry and the contaminant ends up laying right back on the surface. First of all let's clear up a few things; Lacquer thinner, acetone, MEK, and enamel or urethane reducers are NOT surface cleaners. Lacquer thinner evaporates too fast and doesn't give you time to wipe it off wet. It is also much to strong a solvent for most cleaning and can get under the edges of sand thrus or soften substrates. Enamel and urethane reducers often have resins and other components in them that are designed to be added to the product they were INTENDED to be used with. To put it in a nutshell, buy and use the products recommended by the manufacture of the paint SYSTEM you are using. A gallon of the proper surface cleaner runs about twenty or twenty five dollars it is money well spent. The gallon will last you through many projects, a few cars even. The pint of paint or clear to do one small redo will cost more than that.

I checked on our paint dept. at work to see how much surface cleaner they go through. We do between 100 and 150 cars a month and purchase three to five gallons of surface cleaner. We purchase about $12,000 a month in paint materials and only about one hundred bucks of that is surface cleaner. So that being said, at that rate a gallon should last a home hobbyist a lifetime, so buy the right product for the job.

One reason we use so little is how we use it. Here in the San Francisco bay area with strict VOC rules we are not allowed to pour the surface cleaner out onto a rag. We have to spray it out of a spray bottle. Like most things we are forced to do, we resist. But it has turned out to be a great way to use this product. You should give it a try, it works real well. You spray the panel and then wipe it off.

I like to have lots of clean rags when I am doing paint work. Clean rags are one of the most important item you can have in a shop. In the last few years this has gotten much easier to do. I remember having a can of paint covered rags in the corner, thinking I could wash them. I would wash them and they would be clean but the dried paint on them would be hard and make the rags unusable. Then of course you don't want to wash them in your home washer anyway, unless you want your wife's bra to smell like enamel reducer.
Now a days the disposable rag is king. You can get a box of “rags” for a pretty fair price and just throw them way when done. You always have nice clean rags. They are not “just” paper towels, so don't think that the “Mr. Cleanup” paper towels you get at the supermarket are going to do the job. Go to your paint store and get the real thing. There are many different kinds, from cheap wipes similar to your kitchen “paper towels” to lint free towels for final wiping. TORX products are available at NAPA auto parts and is one source for these towels. Again, yes they cost more money than washing rags or your wife's “Mr. Cleanup” paper towels but what kind of money are you spending on your paint products?

So let's go over exactly how you use it. As mentioned earlier, you need to keep it wet prior to wiping it off. The best way to do this is keeping your cleaning area down to a manageable size. I usually wipe no more than a half a panel at a time. About six square feet is all you can do without problems of it drying to fast, and even then you have to keep moving pretty fast. You just don't want it to dry, if you do, you have wasted your time. You haven't done what you intended to do, at all. It was not even close, you wasted your time.

When should you wipe the surface?
Well first of all, BEFORE you sand. If you don't wipe the surface before you sand you will not sand off the contaminants, you will sand them INTO the surface. So a good cleaning before sanding is recommended. If the surface is really dirty, clean it a few times changing to clean rags every time. Remember, you want to wipe off the contaminants, so if you use the same rags on the subsequent wipes you can leave the contaminants you wiped off on the first wipe!

Wiping before applying primer or paint of course is also recommended. Broom and/or blow off the sanding dust (I have bench brooms for wood working that are fine bristled and work great). Be sure to use the proper cleaner and wipe it dry really well. Then be sure that any remainder has flashed off (evaporated) before applying your primer or paint. You don't want any of the cleaner to be trapped under your primer or paint!

Have a few rags ready to go folded in fourths. Put the rag over the opening on the can of surface cleaner and give the can a “slosh” getting the rag wet, not too wet but wet. You don't need to have it dripping all over the floor, but it should be good and wet. Get in the habit of wiping things down like you are painting it. Use a back and forth pattern with an over lap being sure to wet EVERY square inch. The entire area should be shiny wet, then switch to a clean dry rag and wipe it dry using the same “get every inch” procedure. If you feel it dried before you could get it off, repeat the cleaning. As a painter I worked under many years ago would make me repeat like a private in boot camp “YOU CAN NEVER GET A CAR TOO CLEAN, SIR”

Because the term “wax and grease remover” is thrown around so much little is said about the how different they can be. Until I had became a paint rep I didn't even know there were different kinds. After painting for twenty years I had always just grabbed the “wax and grease remover” without a thought as to what I was using it on. When I bought a cleaner and found it worked different I just attributed it to the brand and not the fact that it was just not the type of cleaner I had been using.

Just like solvents you add to your paint products there are different “temps” cleaners. Not that they are to be used in different temp shops but that they flash faster or slower than another. This is important in that you don't need a super slow flashing cleaner on your final wipe. Nor do you need a super fast one when you are doing your first wipe down of a greasy car prior to sanding.

There are also different “strengths” of cleaners. Some are designed for cleaning soft substrates like lacquer while others are much more harsh for cleaning enamel substrates. Most all of them “can” be used at most times but, there are some that are better than others for particular circumstances.

There are four common groups. I don't have every cleaner listed here but this will give you a good idea at what is available.

1. A very slow evaporating cleaner. It is also very weak, and actually only mineral spirits or mostly mineral spirits. This does NOT mean you can go to the hardware store and buy their mineral spirits, for goodness sakes just but the high grade product from the paint manufacture. This is the type of cleaner is the most common found in the shop. It is a good cleaner because it is weak and will not attack any soft substrates like lacquer, uncured enamels, etc. But it will not clean a lot of strong contaminants like vinyl treatments. When you have a reason to believe there is a particularly bad contaminant you may need to go to a stronger cleaner. It is very slow evaporating so you have to be sure it is fully evaporated after wiping before you apply any paint product over it. Specifically those nooks and crannies, be sure it is good and gone before you apply any paint product. It gives you lots of time to wipe it off because it evaporates so slow.

Examples are:
Sherwin Williams R1K213, Martin Senour 6387, PPG DX330, DuPont 3939S, BASF 901.

2. This cleaner is fast and strong. It is commonly recommended as a “pre-cleaner” before sanding. It will attack some soft substrates like lacquer and uncured enamel but if you are using it before sanding you can correct that. It will clean the stronger contaminants like tar and unseen ones like silicone vinyl protectants.

Examples are:
Sherwin Williams R7K156, Martin Senour 6383, PPG DX440, DuPont 3919S, BASF 900.

3. This cleaner is a weak solvent with fast evaporation and is usually used just prior to painting, while the car is in the booth. It is very fast evaporating and is necessary in the production shop where you don't have the time to wait for a cleaner like #1 to evaporate. It is perfect for this use, just getting those finger prints and dust residue off.

Examples are:
Sherwin Williams R7K158, Martin Senour 6384, PPG DX30, DuPont 3901S, BASF 901.

4. Because of VOC rules a waterborne solvent cleaner was developed. It is not needed in most of the country but it has been found to have an interesting use there. Because it has water in it (water and alcohol molecules share a common atom so they are a “link” between the water and enamel based solvents) it actually helps with static electricity. Washing the car with water is the best, but that can't always be done.
It is also the recommended surface cleaner for plastic parts with many paint systems.

Examples are:
Sherwin Williams W4K157, Martin Senour 6388, PPG DX380, DuPont 3909 or 3949, BASF 905.

If you find that you have been using the “wrong” cleaner, don't sweat it, it is not THAT critical. As I said, there are cleaners that work better than others in certain circumstances but few would be “wrong”.

I know of one particular mistake I made for many years. I was using one from the number 1 example. I used it all the time as I still do. The problem was I was using it wrong. Back in the days of lacquer primers and paint I had a few problems that I just couldn't figure out, till years later that is. I would see a lacquer paint job I did a year or so later and there would be water spots on it, coming from under or within the paint. It looked just like you would have when you dry a car in the sun and the water would dry in the patterns that the wet towel left. I always knew it was the surface cleaner but just couldn't figure out why it would happen. I now know that the cleaner was just too slow evaporating and some stayed on the surface to be buried under the paint. The lacquer primer soaked it up and held it. If I had waited a little while longer before painting or used one from the number 3 example I wouldn't have had a problem.

Hopefully this info will help you choose the best cleaner for the job. But most off all, I hope it puts to rest all the “old husbands tales” of using thinner or enamel reducers as cleaners.

[img]http://members.aol.com/goodstuff53/waxandgreasegraffic.jpg[/img]


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
#112276 06/24/2003 7:35 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 394
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 394
Dam there Bolter #597 I didn't expect you to give me amanual on the solvent issue. Hopefully I never have to ask you how to prime and paint my truck. Hey just kiddin, I really appreciate the quick and thorough response you gave me. Not many people are aware of that technique when applying fillers, puttys etc. etc.. THANKS AGAIN.. smile

#112277 06/24/2003 7:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
This isn't the first time Martin has shared his knowledge here in the paint and body shop forum, Ol '55. If you do a search on his member number, you'll find some more informative primers he's taken the time to layout for novices like myself.


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
#112278 06/24/2003 10:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 55
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 55
I'll say one thang - i sure appreciate learning the easy way from MARTINSR, rather that my normal precedure of trial & error,& error,& error...thanks MARTINSR - gobsow

#112279 06/24/2003 11:33 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I thank you too, MARTINSR. I have copied several of your "basics" to a folder on my harddrive. Very informative and you make it easy to understand.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#112280 06/25/2003 7:36 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
You know Ol'55, I didn't really even answer your question. smile You don't need to and actually shouldn't use one of these cleaners prior to using a polyester filler (bondo). It is not needed at all unless there is some oil or something obvious on the surface. Clean it prior to sanding the paint off, that is fine. But after the paint is removed, just apply your filler.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
#112281 06/26/2003 4:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 394
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 394
Like I said earlier thanks for the detailed and interesting reply. Hope to apply some filler this weekend.. THANKS MARTINSR.. :p


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0