The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (55shaker, 50Chevy3100, Perro), 88 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,695
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112123 09/08/2004 4:04 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Ok, so I've been lazy all summer and I just finally got around to painting my bike tank. I got a bit overzealous with the clearcoat and I have to fix a couple runs, but here it is:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~josiahbartlett/pictures/tank.jpg[/img]

The color is an orange pearl, base is custom mixed by my local shop (BASF, forget the exact product) and clearcoat is a 2K Valspar. It sprayed really well but I put the last coat on too thick and got a couple runs. I'll have to work them out and respray that spot, I think. The pic doesn't do it justice, it looks about six inches deep even without buffing. The pic was taken at dusk and my camera is pretty poor.

Oh, and this is my first base/clear project. I've done others with one step products and base/clear is so much more forgiving. The base is really easy to spray without sagging and it dries very quickly. The clear is harder to spray since it dries slowly, but it flows out really well, and if it sags it doesn't take any pigment or mica with it so you can just level it out and buff it or recoat without affecting the color.

The metal straps are what holds the big HONDA emblems to the tank, and the small tabs along the bottom edge are retainers for the chrome trim along the bottom. This is a tank for a 1974 CB750K4. It's a survivor bike in good shape but it really needed a paint job.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#112124 09/08/2004 12:05 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 86
Looks Great.... Love the color cool


47.5 Loadmaster 5 window
48 Chevy 3600
69 GTO convertible
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 428
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 428
Great lookiong tank. I love the old Honda CB's. I never owned one but a couple of guys I went to high school with back in the mid 70's did and those bikes were cool.

Clear coat can be tricky for the DIY painter (such as myself). You kind of get a feel for it the more you do it.


Ralph Davis
1970 Chevy C10 Webshots
My Stovebolt Gallery page

Old trucks never die, they just find a new home.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Wow, Looks great. I had a 750 just about that color. This brings back memories. I took my first long ride on that bike. Fort Worth to Glacier National Park, 1979.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Josh cant you wait for the clear to cure/ harden and then wet sand(1000 grit or higher) and polish out the runs? just wondering?


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, just cut and polish it. I shouldn't have to recoat it. You can hardly tell where the runs are now that it has mostly cured. I'll wait a few more days. I need to get the petcock back on and charge up the battery on the bike. I'd like to take it out this weekend.

I really like the Valspar clear coat, it sprays nicely from my gun.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
Will you mount it between the frame rails or behind the seat? :confused: grin


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
In front of the seat, on top of the frame rail smile It only holds 4 gallons.

The bike sometimes rides in the back of the stovebolt, though.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 709
Josiah, Hope yer stovebolt gets 40-50 mpg with that short capacity tank. grin Seriously tho, nice job. cool


Bruce
Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten)
New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe
The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0