The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (GRNHydra, Oswald, Southerntruck, 1955 1 Series, Nick in Manitou, Wayne67vert), 122 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,124
Posts1,056,334
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1117198 08/03/2015 6:26 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
I bought a coil from the FLAPS, it is not the Electrolock.

I will not cut the shielded cable and I believe I can make this coil work for now.

Any sources for a replacement Electrolock coil. I couldn't find one in my searching yesterday or today.

Is a coil rebuild-able?


~Justin

1937 Chevy 1/2-ton
"Wylburr Clyde"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Google

My Grandfather bought it new and Dad drove it through highschool. The 3rd & 4th generations put it back on the road on 8/8/2015!
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
my search turned up this from the vcca forum. It seems you can at least take one apart...


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
After reading some more I think installing a new coil in your old case would be the way to go if you're going for looks.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
I did find one vendor that sells the EL coils. More than $250 for a coil!?!?

Wow.


~Justin

1937 Chevy 1/2-ton
"Wylburr Clyde"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Google

My Grandfather bought it new and Dad drove it through highschool. The 3rd & 4th generations put it back on the road on 8/8/2015!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
I modified the 12V coil that I got from my local FLAPs to look like an Electrolock coil. I took a piece of exhaust tubing about 2" in diameter and 3/4" long. drilled and filed to create electrolock cap slots. Ground out inner bottom edge of tubing to fit over bottom (top of Electrolock) of coil and epoxied in place. Snaked and glued positive terminal wire up the backside of the coil where it would not show into the Electrolock cap. Looks and works well and will fool most.

Last edited by Donf; 08/03/2015 9:18 PM.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by CASO
After reading some more I think installing a new coil in your old case would be the way to go if you're going for looks.
No such thing as a coil case. The electrolock cap fits on the top side of the coil itself. The OEM coil (in '38 anyway) had the fastening mechanism built into the coil. Replacement coils came with a bracket that screwed onto the top of the coil for the electrolock cap to fasten to. I spent a lot of time on ebay buying aftermarket electrolock coils when they became available and were affordable. I have three or four spares in my archive. The best advise I can give the OP is to watch ebay at least once a week and start hitting swap meets. No one I'm aware of repops those coils. As noted above those who have some in stock are really proud of them. Short term you can make any 6v coil work but it won't look right to those who know what they are supposed to look like.
All you have is the strap that holds the coil to the side cover.
How to remove the cap and showing the replacement coil bracket.
BTW I've not found anyone selling the special tool for removing the cap. It takes a very thin but stiff blade to fit between the coil & cap. You can save yourself some future headaches by using a dremel tool and grinding the locking tab off of the inside of the electrolock cap so that any time in the future that you need to remove it all you do is twist it off, you don't have to mess with trying to get to the locking tab. I destroyed my OEM coil trying to get the cap off.

Last edited by Tiny; 08/03/2015 9:57 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Found this on ebay. Should work just fine. Some rattle can black will fix the color.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 106
Thank you for the link, Tiny.

Do coils go bad?

I have the original out of the truck and the cap came off easy enough.


~Justin

1937 Chevy 1/2-ton
"Wylburr Clyde"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Google

My Grandfather bought it new and Dad drove it through highschool. The 3rd & 4th generations put it back on the road on 8/8/2015!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0