The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 2-Ton, fonz8261), 104 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,495
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1116226 07/29/2015 7:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
Does any company sell replacement drums if needed? I just bought a 1953 GMC 1-ton and trying to make sure I locate go-to places to get what I need for replacement.


1953 GMC 1-Ton Pickup with 350 and 700R4
Chad M #1116246 07/29/2015 1:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 442
Stovebolt Photo Moderator
Stovebolt Photo Moderator
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 442
Hello Chad, I've been told there is no source for replacement drums, or even shoes for that matter. Most folks recommend you don't even machine the drums you may have to preserve precious metal. I had my pads resurfaced and all has bolted together nicely.

I have also learned that rear wheel studs do not exist. Watch them carefully.

Best - Joe


1947 - 3800 dually known as "Deadwrench"
Link to a few photos

In this world there are givers and takers. The takers eat well, the givers sleep well.
Chad M #1116355 07/30/2015 1:04 AM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
I found a seller on Ebay selling used hub assemblies with drums so I bought a pair as spares.


1953 GMC 1-Ton Pickup with 350 and 700R4
Chad M #1116440 07/30/2015 2:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I would buy up all the good spares you find. I think 53 was the first year for the Bendix brakes on the 1 Ton. I don't know how they changed as the years went on but the previous Huck style drums are really hard to find.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Chad M #1117124 08/03/2015 6:12 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 228
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 228
I am converting my 51 - 1 ton to disc brakes. I will have the complete front brake system with drums, master cyl and vacuum unit, which is rebuilt all for sale if someone in So. Cal needs it.

Chad M #1117145 08/03/2015 12:40 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Please use the swap meet section for buying and selling parts.

Thanks,
Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0