The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (klhansen), 158 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Hi Guys,
I was having trouble with the speedometer on my truck making a grinding noise, and the needle fluctuating wildly. I figured the cable needed lubrication which I did using spray in graphite. That quieted the grinding noise, but I managed to break the speedometer needle in the process. I have a new needle on order from Jim carter, but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. I'd also like to disassemble the rest of the speedo, but I can't do that until I get the old needle off. It seems the shaft of the needle pushes into the shaft that comes from the rear of the speedo.
I can see how the odometer works off the worm gear. What makes the speedo needle go back and forth ? Are there gears there that need cleaning and lubrication.
Second question: Can I remove, lube, and reinstall the speedo cable from the outer casing without disconnecting the lower end of the casing from the transmission ( 350 Turbo Auto )
Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Britcon; 07/21/2015 4:46 AM.

1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 173
I posted the same question last week for my 40 KE there is a link there that should answer some of your questions...my post was called "dash cluster nightmare"

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Thanks heavy40chevy ! Link to Tech details is exactly what I was lookin for.
Much appreciated.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0