The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (68ironhead, Woodcmiami, 55shaker, Gdads51, GMCJammer51, 3B, LAJones48, mick53, 50Chevy3100), 107 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,455
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 10
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 10
Hi Guys,

My 54 Chevy 1/2 ton truck does not have an under-bed spare tire carrier. My truck is not original but does have the majority of the original frame.
While I presently have the wooden planks off the bed, I thought now would be the time to put an under-bed tire mount on.
I do have the back horizontal 3" wide cross-beam with the two thinner metal beams(where the original tire carrier would mount). The 3" cross beam is about 1" lower than the bed-sill beams.
I'm not going strictly original so would this u-bolt work?... ...1/2 thick and should fit over the 3" beam....Or should I drill two holes in the beam and drop in two carriage bolts spaced apart to go through two of the rim stud holes? Possibly then cut a flat metal 6" round piece which could snug up to the bottom exposed rim side.

Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!


Last edited by cletis; 06/28/2015 5:27 AM. Reason: repaired link
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 10
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 10
Well, after considering different options about how I might mount my spare tire under the truck bed(and not getting much feedback), I decide that the original design with the hinge was probably the best design.

If I only used bolts hanging from the beds horizontal I-beam to support the weight of a spare tire, it would come crashing down on top of me if I did need the spare.

It seems that the original design of the hinge on the spare tire carrier was important since it would allow the spare tire to slide off the bracket which held it in place.

After searching around and contacting several classic truck part stores , I was told that they weren't aware of anyone reproducing the spare tire carrier for my truck year(54).

I therefore have decided to fabricate a reproduction of the original. I'm half done and will post pictures when it is completed.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I can't believe no one has responded to this. Several people have adapted a modern crank down cable carrier to their trucks. Since you are half done with an original style it may not interest you but if you hit a snag, it's something to think about.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Hank
I think the trailer mount u bolt would be more trouble than I'd want too.

Since it appears you're ok with some slight modifications at least, maybe looking for a newer style spare carrier along the lines of those Chevrolet and GMC used in the late 60's and 70's would work? From experience, I can say they too were a hassle, but worked. Maybe, one of the newer truck part vendors has one for sale? My guess is one could probably be found in a junk yard too.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
When I was at the junk yard pulling a limited slip 6 bolt Nissan Xterra rear axle, I noticed that it had a crank up-and-down spare tire carrier that used a chain instead of a cable. I liked the way it looked, but my truck has a bed side spare mount so I didn't snag it up.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 236
Just about to add that some trucks (mostly foreign) have a chain or more common cable crank up tire hanger (as previous post). You need a path from the rear of bed to stick the crank tool in to raise and lower. But these are so much easier then lifting a hinged tire up and engaging a nut or bolt.

They are easy to pull off a junkyard truck. And easy to install, just make sure you get the crank rod for it.

I have installed a couple of these and am sure to do it again.

Last edited by 48 Yuma Rebel; 07/07/2015 1:34 AM.

Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0