The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Paul Mullen, 55shaker, DadsFirstPickup, 3B, 68ironhead, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 93 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,557
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
Does anyone know what 6-cylinder electronic distributor could be used as a donor for a 248 GMC? I have access to a machine shop so that's not a problem. I know Jim Carter sells one machined and ready to go but I'd like to do it myself. I've looked at Pertronix but I will be using this as a daily driver and I want to use a readily available distributor body that can be rebuilt with over the counter parts in case I break down in the middle of nowhere!


"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.

Robert
55.1 GMC 450 COE
51ish GMC Suburban
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
A
ape Offline
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
I put a Mallory elect ignition in a 62' 261. I got it a Summit. Mite try them.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Hi Robert, nice to see you here!

Someone once described to me using an HEI from a Chevy six by comparing to the stock distributor, and machining to match. I couldn't get much more detail than that.

I've also been told that Chevy and GMC distributors are inter-changeable, but I've not tried to confirm it.

I'd like to upgrade my 270 to HEI, but haven't wanted to bite off that project. If you do it, take pictures and share them.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
The GM HEI distributor used is one from a 76 to early 80`s 250/292 engines.
The guy who has done the swap is our NEW moderator TONY(the one in New York) cool


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
I did a bunch of these conversions , it's easy, only requires a grinder or a file.Just hack off the retaining ring on the aluminum distributer body, don't touch the area below the retainer, fits just fine in the 235-261 or GMC distributer hole.Then compare the old and new dist shaft just below the drive gear,it needs to be shortened about 3/8 inch and then reprofiled to match the original tip. I made a new hold down from some scrap steel,saves butchering the stock hold down. On some engines, the large HEI cap may foul the oil dip stick tube, you can bend the tube, but the stock stick is not flexible enough to fit back in.So then you need to use a thinner stick from a later Chevy and remark the full and add lines.These modified units work just fine, no problems, I have run them for 5 years.The Petronix unit works fine too I'm told,if you have to buy a HEI distributer and new plug wires,a module, it winds up costing the same as the Petronix
HEI modification

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Ah, Tony the hacker strikes again. grin

I've resorted to buying used HEIs off the internet, the only one's that I've found locally were priced almost as high as a Pertronix module.

Has anyone tried putting a GM distributor in an International six? They did use a Delco distributor.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
The key to distributor swaps is to use a distributor with the correct diameter shaft for the oil pump drive. Also pay attention to the thrust load on the distributor, if the dist body or oil pump body is supposed to take the end thrust. Make sure the dist gear is in good shape and not crammed down on the oil pump. Use layout dye to check fitment of gears.


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0