| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,304 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 | I have two sets of 46 pickup front fenders. One set has lots of rust-out on the rear part of the fenders, the other set has loads of rust-out on the front part of the fenders. The question is- can I use these fenders by cutting them and welding them back together? If so HOW?? This looks like it should be easy but I have a funny hunch it isn't.
Oly in Oregon Rest in Peace1945 GMC COE Victory Truck 1953 Willys CJ3B 1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton 1958 WIFE Last series Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | Oly , , cutting the good part from one fender and welding it onto the other can definately be done ,, since you have to ask , be assured that it is probably beyond your present skill level . I think you need to find a friendly panel shop that does NOT specialize in bondo repairs , there ought to be a skilled tradesman there who can do the work accurately .  | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | like Dusty sez, Oly - not too hard if yer very skilled @ metal work - I got a great body guy next door that I'd get to do it, but havin watched him do that sorta work, can't imagine the average body shop could do it well - there'd be about a 1/2 gallon of mud on each fender . . .
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | I marvel at the skill of some of the guys on the HAMB. Though I disagree with cutting roofs off cars and trucks just to lower them, the metal work on some of them is amazing. Just through hammering, adding metal by welding and grinding you could actually do the job with zero bondo. It can look seamless even before painting.
If you could find a guy that does work like that, putting two fenders together would be a snap. Any hotrodders around?
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 327 | Thanks for answering guys. I have a friend that has a mig welder and is real good with it and he has said he will teach me how to use it, so maybe this is my chance to learn.
Tony M., this may sound strange but when you mentioned "hotrodders", I thought of Phat and how that if he were still on here he would have gotten me so "hot under the collar" that I would have been out there by now with a hank of wire and a torch just welding my butt off-(just to prove I could)-LOL. (at least he and I usually argued about trucks)
Oly in Oregon Rest in Peace1945 GMC COE Victory Truck 1953 Willys CJ3B 1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton 1958 WIFE Last series Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
| | |
| |
| |