Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Steelonsteel, klhansen, tclederman, Nick in Manitou, dt235sd, Bill Hanlon, Leo, GRNHydra),
70
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,112 Posts1,056,577 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#11110 11/03/2003 10:47 PM | Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 106 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 106 | Does anyone know what 6-cylinder electronic distributor could be used as a donor for a 248 GMC? I have access to a machine shop so that's not a problem. I know Jim Carter sells one machined and ready to go but I'd like to do it myself. I've looked at Pertronix but I will be using this as a daily driver and I want to use a readily available distributor body that can be rebuilt with over the counter parts in case I break down in the middle of nowhere!
"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.
Robert 55.1 GMC 450 COE 51ish GMC Suburban | | |
#11111 11/03/2003 11:20 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 62 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 62 | I put a Mallory elect ignition in a 62' 261. I got it a Summit. Mite try them. | | |
#11112 11/04/2003 3:05 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Hi Robert, nice to see you here!
Someone once described to me using an HEI from a Chevy six by comparing to the stock distributor, and machining to match. I couldn't get much more detail than that.
I've also been told that Chevy and GMC distributors are inter-changeable, but I've not tried to confirm it.
I'd like to upgrade my 270 to HEI, but haven't wanted to bite off that project. If you do it, take pictures and share them.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#11113 11/04/2003 3:16 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | The GM HEI distributor used is one from a 76 to early 80`s 250/292 engines. The guy who has done the swap is our NEW moderator TONY(the one in New York) 
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |
#11114 11/04/2003 1:44 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 | I did a bunch of these conversions , it's easy, only requires a grinder or a file.Just hack off the retaining ring on the aluminum distributer body, don't touch the area below the retainer, fits just fine in the 235-261 or GMC distributer hole.Then compare the old and new dist shaft just below the drive gear,it needs to be shortened about 3/8 inch and then reprofiled to match the original tip. I made a new hold down from some scrap steel,saves butchering the stock hold down. On some engines, the large HEI cap may foul the oil dip stick tube, you can bend the tube, but the stock stick is not flexible enough to fit back in.So then you need to use a thinner stick from a later Chevy and remark the full and add lines.These modified units work just fine, no problems, I have run them for 5 years.The Petronix unit works fine too I'm told,if you have to buy a HEI distributer and new plug wires,a module, it winds up costing the same as the Petronix HEI modification | | |
#11115 11/04/2003 4:58 PM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Ah, Tony the hacker strikes again. I've resorted to buying used HEIs off the internet, the only one's that I've found locally were priced almost as high as a Pertronix module. Has anyone tried putting a GM distributor in an International six? They did use a Delco distributor.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#11116 11/04/2003 5:03 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | The key to distributor swaps is to use a distributor with the correct diameter shaft for the oil pump drive. Also pay attention to the thrust load on the distributor, if the dist body or oil pump body is supposed to take the end thrust. Make sure the dist gear is in good shape and not crammed down on the oil pump. Use layout dye to check fitment of gears.
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | |
| |