| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,124 Posts1,056,334 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 | Does anyone have any luck with horns on their truck? First i had a set of town & country horn from a '39 car on my truck the duel trumpets, completely rebuilt and ive had nothing but problems the horns work when you test them indivdually but as soon as you hook it up they short out, or sometimes if your luck you get a low electric hummmmming sounds.....then i took them off and now I have an original horn and every time i turn the wheel a certain way the horn beeps and its very embarrassing and then sometimes the button gets stuck..its a complete mess | | | | | Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 583 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 583 | In 1940 they were called town and country horns, in 1939 they were city and country horns. I have the city country horns on my 39 and they work great. There is a switch on the dash to go from one to the other. I tend to leave it on the country side. Love the sound. I also had the problem of turning the steering wheel and having the horns beep. The horn wire was frayed and grounding out against the steering column where it comes out. Horn button would stick once in a while, so I installed a new one. No more problems.
Rick
1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
| | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 | was there any difference between the 40/39 town&country horns other the name cuz i just assumed mine were off a 39. Also, I do know what your talking about when you say the switch (they are difficult to find) but is there anyway to get them both to work at the same time, that what i trying to do..just eliminate the switch | | | | | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 565 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 565 | Are you wiring them in series or parallel?
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."
1957 GMC 150
| | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2013 Posts: 173 | I honestly don't know what I'm doing. I just got them and hooked up the wires...what should I be looking for? Just trying to get both of them to fire at the same time | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | The main difference is just the name. Until '39 they were simply called accessory horns. I have mine connected to a three position (on circuit one/off/on circuit two) toggle switch under the dash. In one position the single city horn blows & in the other the accessory horns blow. The center position neither blow which makes it handy when I'm messing with the horn button & don't want random honks. You should have a heavy gauge full time hot wire from your battery to the center post on your relay. The horns connect to the passenger side terminal & driver's side terminal connects to the horn button, in my case through the toggle switch.
Last edited by Tiny; 06/27/2015 3:03 PM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
| |
| |