Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,084 Posts1,056,334 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 442 Stovebolt Photo Moderator | | Stovebolt Photo Moderator Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 442 | So....I thought I would bring my hubs to a local NAPA machine shop for new rear bearings. The bearings in there had no numbers and there were two broken studs as well. I figured - what the heck? press in all new studs these were shot. Both hubs.
I get them back and I try to fit the hub ring for duallys over top the studs......it doesn't align. The studs must be out of square. The holes in the ring are big enough it's just that the 8-lug pattern seems out of wack. Any suggestions ? 1947 - 3800 dually known as "Deadwrench"Link to a few photosIn this world there are givers and takers. The takers eat well, the givers sleep well. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy amtrakjoe, make sure all the studs are fully seated in the hub, if they are not, seat them fully and then try the ring again. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 442 Stovebolt Photo Moderator | | Stovebolt Photo Moderator Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 442 | Good point. I'll have a look tomorrow. You're right if they arent seated they would be off ever so slightly. Thanks - Joe 1947 - 3800 dually known as "Deadwrench"Link to a few photosIn this world there are givers and takers. The takers eat well, the givers sleep well. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | When I have work such as that(rare) that I cannot do myself, I like to stand there and look over their shoulder; many younger service workers have no clue how our old stuff works, we cannot look in a catalogue to easily replace a damaged or broken part that someone doesn't how to work on-we don't need someone learning on our irreplaceable parts.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Joe, I am really surprised that they had your studs. Usually that is a big problem. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 442 Stovebolt Photo Moderator | | Stovebolt Photo Moderator Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 442 | Hi Fred. Our local NAPA is pretty good. They have found me a fair amount of parts so far. They even had a rear wheel cylinder for me. Best - Joe 1947 - 3800 dually known as "Deadwrench"Link to a few photosIn this world there are givers and takers. The takers eat well, the givers sleep well. | | |
| |