Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,338 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 | I spent lots of time getting my wheel wells on my 62 stepside perfect. Then they recoverd the roads out here and instead of squishing in the rock they just left it loose on top of the tar for the cars to work in. My new tires picked up that rock and dented the heck out of my wheel wells from the inside out. Really [censored] me off. I feel like sending the comissioner a bill. Anyway I am thinking about getting a can of that spray tar and coating the inside of my wells to cushion them against rocks. Anybody else have this problem? If so what did you do to fix it?
delete my account and pictures
| | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 328 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 328 | I don't know about the spray tar, but I bet the fender wells are already coated with tar thanks to the new asphalt. Were do you live in Texas? They did the same thing infront of my shop, and all of the gravel is gone. There is just tar left. I hope it does not get too messy this summer when that tar gets soft and stringy.
Phil
Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | really pretty truck Tab! not sure about pythagorean triplets tho! I always undercoat my truck fenders w/ a good thick, rubbery tar undercoat, to prevent just that kinda thing Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 | Squyeez: Thanks! I'm going to get some of that spray tar and go to town with it.
I like your signature! Unfortunately people like to think that they are separate from nature. This is creating all kinds of problems and will eventually lead to our destruction. But for now. I'm getting a new Harley, Super Glide next weekend!
delete my account and pictures
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 |
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 2 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2004 Posts: 2 | Not sure what type of tar you are talking about but We may have the same idea. Do you think the stuff they spray in bedliners would work. I have seen people using that stuff everywhere now days. (floor bloards, running boards, bumpers) It works well in the back of trucks I would not see why it would not work in the fener wells.
Good luck and nice truck!
Mike
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | Mike - seems that bedliner stuff would be a bit 'brittle' and leave things about the same as bare metal - having been a construction guy, what I like is good ol messy roofing tar - Fibergum, or similar w/ some fiber in it, that never gets rock hard and ya can put a good thick coat on - can be thinned w/ gas if too thick and it evaporates soon
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 | Thanks for the help. I agree that the bedliner might be a bit to hard for this project. I will go with the tar idea. I have even thought about getting some of that galvanized metal webbing and imbedding that in the wet tar or bolting some aluminum flashing under there.
delete my account and pictures
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | Actually, bedliner works very well under wheel wells. I have a friend that installs it, and I was curious about just that, so I called him and asked about it. Seems quite a few people are doing it. It does not need to be as thick as when sprayed as a bedliner. He says it is best to do the fenders off the truck, but that gives a problem of covering the bolt holes, so you will ask your guy how he will solve that problem. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | Brian, no doubt the bedliner sticks well and makes a good 'rust proofing' protection, but does it prevent rocks thrown from the tires at speed from denting the fender or cracking the paint on the outside surface? I'd think it was a too inflexible, like a similar thickness of paint
Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | Apparently yes, it does prevent those rock "stars". That is why I called my friend up to confirm the practicality of using bedliner under the wheel wells. He says it does not need to be applied at thick as a bedliner is, 1/8th inch would be plenty. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 622 | That bedliner paint is a bit pricey and I don't want to have to prep the wheel wells to get it to stick. With the tar I just have to go to Big Lots and for a few bucks I can get a couple of cans. I am going to form fit some aluminum flashing then spray that tar up there and squish that flashing into it. I'll let ya'll know how it goes...lol
delete my account and pictures
| | |
| |