The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1102553 05/14/2015 12:13 AM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
I've been wanting to swap out the rear end on my 1950 half ton and was wondering if an S-10 rear end would be a good candidate. I don't plan on racing the truck or driving it hard. Just wanting to get better highway speeds and better gas mileage. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks.


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You'll find that the 2wd version will be too narrow. One from a 4x4 would be better, and one from a 4x4 with the Wide Stance option (ZR-2) would be ideal. If you can find a late version, '98-'04, with the ZR-2 option, they not only come with rear disk brakes, but are also a narrower version of the full size truck 8.5" ring gear 10 bolt.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
what Bill said.....


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
My computer's been down boys, so I'm really late in replying, but wanted to say thank you for your replies. I'll start calling the salvage yards for a late model S-10 4x4.

Thanks!


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Make sure you specify ZR-2, the axles are different from the regular 4x4 to the ZR-2.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 27
R
RJD Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 27
zr2 axles are nice but pricey. I get wanting an 8.5 rear, but in my experience all the broken 7.5 and 7.625 axles I have ever seen in my lifetime have been damaged from abuse, like catching traction in a donut, or just driving like you are stomping out a flaming bag of crap. Plus the zr2 was 1/100 the 4x4 blazer production, and I bet will be easily 4x the price if you find one. just a data point.

if you are looking at blazers in salvage and are ok with a 7.625 rear, look in the glovebox for the RPO codes, rear ends are under G. GU6 is the standard 3.42, GT4 is the optional 3.73, and any ratio followed by G80 is limited slip. 98-03 blazers are disc rear.

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
T
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
I'm using a 1999 disc brake 8.8 Ford Explorer posi rear end w/3.73 gears....joe

1990-1992 Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch Axle - 56-1/2 inches
1993-2009 Ford Ranger 8.8-inch Axle - 58-1/2 inches
1991-2003 Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch Axle - 59-1/2 inches


~ Joe
Donate Blood, Plasma, Platelets and Sign Your DONORS CARD. The Life You SAVE Might Be Someone You Know and LOVE.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
ZR2s are common as dirt around here. Every 4x4 2 door S10 Blazer around here has that option, and most of the 4x4 pickups do, too. I can get a rear out of one for about $235 at the local yard, $180 if I pull it out myself.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
I use the stock 2WD S-10 rear in my truck with a 455 Buick (loads of Torque) without issue. I wouldn't be worried about tearing up the rear unless you're the burnout king.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Thanks again for all the good feedback guys. I really appreciate it! I looked last weekend in a local salvage yard and didn't find a 4X4 rear end, only 2 wheel drive. I'll continue my search this weekend.


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0