Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (LAJones48, Barry Martak, Otto Skorzeny, Waveski, Shaffer's1950, Rusty Heaps, 1 invisible),
110
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,465 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | I've been wanting to swap out the rear end on my 1950 half ton and was wondering if an S-10 rear end would be a good candidate. I don't plan on racing the truck or driving it hard. Just wanting to get better highway speeds and better gas mileage. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | You'll find that the 2wd version will be too narrow. One from a 4x4 would be better, and one from a 4x4 with the Wide Stance option (ZR-2) would be ideal. If you can find a late version, '98-'04, with the ZR-2 option, they not only come with rear disk brakes, but are also a narrower version of the full size truck 8.5" ring gear 10 bolt.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 |
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | My computer's been down boys, so I'm really late in replying, but wanted to say thank you for your replies. I'll start calling the salvage yards for a late model S-10 4x4.
Thanks!
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Make sure you specify ZR-2, the axles are different from the regular 4x4 to the ZR-2.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: May 2014 Posts: 27 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2014 Posts: 27 | zr2 axles are nice but pricey. I get wanting an 8.5 rear, but in my experience all the broken 7.5 and 7.625 axles I have ever seen in my lifetime have been damaged from abuse, like catching traction in a donut, or just driving like you are stomping out a flaming bag of crap. Plus the zr2 was 1/100 the 4x4 blazer production, and I bet will be easily 4x the price if you find one. just a data point.
if you are looking at blazers in salvage and are ok with a 7.625 rear, look in the glovebox for the RPO codes, rear ends are under G. GU6 is the standard 3.42, GT4 is the optional 3.73, and any ratio followed by G80 is limited slip. 98-03 blazers are disc rear. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2014 Posts: 217 I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants | | I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants Joined: Aug 2014 Posts: 217 | I'm using a 1999 disc brake 8.8 Ford Explorer posi rear end w/3.73 gears....joe
1990-1992 Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch Axle - 56-1/2 inches 1993-2009 Ford Ranger 8.8-inch Axle - 58-1/2 inches 1991-2003 Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch Axle - 59-1/2 inches
~ Joe Donate Blood, Plasma, Platelets and Sign Your DONORS CARD. The Life You SAVE Might Be Someone You Know and LOVE. Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ~ Arthur C. Clarke | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | ZR2s are common as dirt around here. Every 4x4 2 door S10 Blazer around here has that option, and most of the 4x4 pickups do, too. I can get a rear out of one for about $235 at the local yard, $180 if I pull it out myself.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | I use the stock 2WD S-10 rear in my truck with a 455 Buick (loads of Torque) without issue. I wouldn't be worried about tearing up the rear unless you're the burnout king. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,644 | Thanks again for all the good feedback guys. I really appreciate it! I looked last weekend in a local salvage yard and didn't find a 4X4 rear end, only 2 wheel drive. I'll continue my search this weekend.
Chuck 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original) 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod) 1941 Chevy coupe 1938 Chevy coupe streetrod | | |
| |