The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (78buckshot, 49oneton, Napco Man, Otto Skorzeny, tclederman), 121 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,623
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
Has anyone installed an infant car seat in the middle of their bench seat? I have a 1959 Apache 3100 and am looking for a picture of an install or way to install the hooks on my bench seat for a car seat base.
I'm not sure where to mount to hooks on the bench seat such that the hooks end up in the crease of the seat.

Thanks!

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
swen,

I was thinking about the same thing and decided that i am going to just use a regular seatbelt in order to secure the car seat in place. That will also work once my son gets older. My truck is currently getting the seatbelts put in during the painting process. I think that my seat will be VERY tight with a car seat in the middle. My guess is that your front seat is wider.

My 2 cents worth,
Chris

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
You need to install lap belts like original equipped for that model. Then use the seat belts to hold the car seat.
It is not worth stepping "outside of the box" for a child seat, in my opinion.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
Hello Chris, thanks for the reply. I've also considered the seat belt option and maybe it's the best way to go. I'm at the point of being able to install belts since the seat is out.
I have a daughter on the way, so want to make sure she can enjoy the truck as well!
I've got a 54' Chevy also and I'm guessing the seats are about the same width. It will be tight, but fun.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Lap belts should work for an infant seat
Infant seats are rear facings and usually the base gets secured.


Lap belts alone will Not work for a forward facing car seat and probably not legal in most states. forward facing Car seats require a latch system, or lap belts and center top latch or hook.

Once the kid out grows the car seat they will use a booster seat for a short while.
A Booster seat is not legal with lap belts.


Check your state laws and requirement for the child seat you purchase.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
swen,

congrats on the upcoming little one! My son, who is about to turn 3 loves to work on the truck and i can't wait to take him for a ride in it. Unfortunately, doesn't look like the whole family will be able to go for a ride in it at one time since the wife is due on in mid june with our second. I can't imagine 2 adults and 2 car seats in the front of the truck. Our seats should be the same, for some reason, i was thinking apache after reading multiple forms last night.

enjoy!

Chris

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Not sure how the apache seat frame is constructed,

I added a center tether hook to the seat frame on my 50
...pic...

With the lap belts and center tether hook his seat was solid
...pic...

He was three when I was finally able to take him for a Ride in the truck

I never took him in the truck when he was an infant...truck was not done when he was little

I modified the passenger seat because of the floor shift.
We were able to fit three with the car seat,it was tight
...mama sat in the center...



Well guess what, in a blink he out grew the car seat

So he's grounded, I not comfortable with just lap belts for him right now (he's 7). I did a quick test and he can easily reach the dash.

I'm experimenting with a 3 point harness, its rated for booster seat and lap belts.
...pic...


Looking back I should of installed the shoulder belt at least on the passenger side.


I never considered a infant seat. I may have to address that soon smile


Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,235
DADS,

AWESOME! Thanks for the smiles this morning. I can't wait until i can take my son for the first ride this summer!

Chris

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
I have had my twins in my 46 2-ton with lap belts. It is not often, but on occasion. They just turned 7... Yes, it may not meet the law, but there are lap belts installed and it is just my opinion that you just can't be that careful all the time.

Every once in a while you have to break the rules. Plenty of people and kids rode in these trucks when they were new. And yes, plenty of people and kids were hurt in them, but that could easily be said about modern vehicles as well....

But I also take my kids on the road in a 1921 Model T and they will be riding in a 1915 rumble seat speedster this spring!

My .02$ worth!


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by ndkid275
I can't wait until i can take my son for the first ride this summer! Chris

Thanks

Looking at your photo link looks like your little guy is ready
Take lots of pics, time flys


Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
DADS,

Those are just the types of pictures I was looking for. I really like the three point harness for later. My seat frame on the 59' is a little different, but I can weld some hooks to the cab floor to address the infant seat and then use the lap belt as others have suggested as well. I'll post some photo's once I have it figured out.

Here's a link to the bottom of the seat base on the 59' Apache.
http://swenracer.smugmug.com/Trucks/59-Apache/i-pHFsLXJ/A

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Please post some pics of your installation when you get that far.
I'd like to see what you come up with

For my lap belts I added some flat bar to the cab bottom for the fasteners that came with the kit

...pic...
You could do something like that for your latch system?


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Swenracer,

I put Juliano's 3-point belts in my 56 and 57. It takes me about 45 minutes to install them. Drill 6 holes and I get shoulders on left and right side and lap in the middle. The anchor plates that come with the kits have rounded edged so they won't try to rip the metal and pull out in an accident. The force put on the anchor plate in a accident can be like 5000 pounds...I don't think the TF seat hardware is rated for that much strain.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
I just ordered two Juliano's retractable 3-point belts and one lap belt. I'm going to also install hooks for the infant seat and will post pictures as soon as I can. Thanks everyone for the great feedback!


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0