The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lightholder's Dad, Gdads51, 55shaker, MickeyP, 59 fleet), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,304
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
Ok, I just received some coil springs for my 1940 chevy 1/2 ton oustide door handles.

How are they installed? Any photos would be great too.

Thank you for all that reply.

mark

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
If anyone has a photo or website that has a photo. Or description, please and thank you.

Mark

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
Well, I did one side on the '51 GMC I had..........It was not a fun job, but it sure was nice not too have a "droopy" door handle anymore!

Where is Barry Weeks when we need him? He was the Art-Deco Guru...........Maybe Ken knows??


*** GMC ***
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
Well, How did you do it???
Mark

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
I'm not sure it would be relevant to your '40........I don't know how much different they are.

I just rolled the window all the way down. Removed the inside window trim. Remove inside door panel. Reached in and removed broken spring with "vise-grip" pliers.
Installing the new one is tricky, because of th tension you have to work against and there is very little room to work. Once again, the needle nose vice grips saved me.
I also found that the "repop" spring was wound tighter that the stock one, so itr took a little muscle to get into place.
I had some pix, but they were lost when my computer died a week and a half ago. No, nothing backed up, sorry.


*** GMC ***
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
Mine does not have any original springs so I have nothing to go on. The search continues...LOL.

Thanks for your reply.

mark

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
Does anyone know how this complex device is installed?

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
Does anyone know how these are installed???

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
golden- I think my 46 in just about like your 40 so I may be able to help. It's been a long time since I have looked at my door latches but if I remember right it isn't that hard to install. There is a left and a right spring so you have to have them on the correct side.

Tell what I'll do, rather than try to explain from memory I'll pull my latches out of the box and take a couple of pictures to email you. Give me a day or two and I'll send something out to you.

George

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
46forme,

Thank you very much, look forward to your help.

Mark

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Mark - Sent you some pictures. Did you get them? Hope they help.

George

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
46forme, could you post the pics or send them 2 me

[email protected]

Im not ready to install my latches yet, but upon inspection mine dont have them either.

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
stea - I'm not able to post them cuz I do my surfing from work but I will send them to you tomorrow. The disk is at home.

George
Maybe you can post them for me

wink

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
stea - Check your email, I sent you pictures smile

George

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
46forme, Thanks for the pics. They will help a great deal. Where else can u find this kind of info except from this site..

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
I got hit by Charlie down here in port charlotte. Only minor damage to the house and my garage was untouched, so my 40 is fine.

Thank you for the photos, Vintage Auto Parts sent the wrong ones so it was impossible to make them work, I sent the old ones back, I ordered new ones but have not heard back from them.

Hopefully next week.

mark

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
Mark, if you have trouble finding your springs go to www.americanclassic.com and and look for part number DLRS36 cost $4.00 a pair. I just had them installed in my 46 1/2ton. Looks good
Phone # is 940-365-9786 Good Luck Ed

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,438
e-mail me and I'll send some pictures that 46forme sent. These are how they fit on the locks if that is your question.
Dennis


40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
G
Apprentice
Apprentice
G Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 36
I found them at american classics, thank you. Now, if I can only come up with the $20.00 min purchase, LOL.

Mark


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0