The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (ronsway, ndkid275, klhansen), 89 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,374
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 75
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 75
Wonder if anyone has any knowledge good or bad about Paint Shop Finish System that Summit Racing sells . No Mixing ready to spray and can be buffed .Its $22 per.qt. I'm old school and I know that now there are much more ways to paint auto finishes .I am use to either enamel or lacquer ,forget the clear but I guess the clear might come with this paint system ,It sounds good to me but don't know if its any good. Thank You.


Jerry
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

"Dupli-Color's Paint Shop finish systems give you everything you need to create a high-quality DIY finish--primer, color, and clear coating. Paint Shop finish paints from Dupli-Color are high-quality lacquer systems designed for automotive and motorcycle applications. Paint Shop systems are easy to apply; they dry quickly and can be buffed to a brilliant, smooth finish. The Paint Shop systems are ready-to-spray, so no mixing or reducing is required, and with no re-coat window, additional coats can be applied at any time."

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
Tim, did you copy and paste that from their website? I think the OP was looking for first hand experience, not an infomercial


Eric
http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/sparky234/library/My%2057%20Chevy%20Stepside?sort=3&page=1
'57 Chevy 3100 (Little Red)
'81 RD350 LC - Fun, Fun, Fun
'83 GS1100E - Pocket Rocket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Eric,

I posted the cut-and-paste so other people know the product (and, posted its name/producer, in case it is not the product in question).

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/


Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Another thing about that DupliColor system, in my neck of the woods, they are always available off the shelf. No shipping, no waiting. In my case at the local Advance Auto store.


Drew
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Drew,

Have you used the system, or know someone who has used it (or, seen a vehicle painted with that line of paint)?

Thanks,

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
Gottya Tim, I sure would not have know the OP was talking about Dupli-Color, thanks. For low cost paint jobs, I have read many success stories and seen the pictures of rustoleum with hardener, but none on this system.


Eric
http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/sparky234/library/My%2057%20Chevy%20Stepside?sort=3&page=1
'57 Chevy 3100 (Little Red)
'81 RD350 LC - Fun, Fun, Fun
'83 GS1100E - Pocket Rocket
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
I used it on a teardrop trailer I built years ago. It worked ok, won't be a show finish, but it is easy.

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 75
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 75
Thanks guy's for your input. I have just read several reviews of this product and I would suggest you do the same b4 buying this product. I am now swayed to go the old fashion route and be safe than sorry. This sounds great but when you read some reviews you see red flags all over lol. Most are saying it's so thin the coverage is bad . The clear is hard to get a wet finish with out it running because it flashes too fast.Also it is not a lacqure SP??? paint.


Jerry
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
Most of the time when people ask me how much to paint their vehicle I tell them about $350 to spray it.... Now that is the labor to walk into the booth and spray product. Depending on the color that product can range from $250 a gallon to $2000 a gallon. And that is after $10k worth of body work.... My point is, is that there is a lot of work involved in getting to that point when you are "ready" for paint. Why skimp on that part of it? A gallon of DCC Concept from PPG would probably run you $300. The harder probably another $300 and reducer about $65. So $665-$700 for a high quality very durable product, that will go on top of what will likely be months if not years worth of body work.... If you do paint it yourself, do yourself a big favor, purchase a used good paint gun on eBay or Craigslist. Use it and clean it well and then sell it for what you paid for it. The Harbor Freight or even Lowes/Home Depot ones just will not do what you need them to do. I will not even allow any of my guys to bring those into my shop. They are that bad! I Use Sata guns and you can usually get them used for $200.


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Now for a counterpoint. I have actually used the Paint Shop paints, and it does work very well. Prep is key, the better the base primer under it is, the better the finish will be. That goes for any finish, regardless of whose brand it is. You could use the $300 a gallon paint and still get a poor finish out of it. With the right prep, you can get a good finish out of the $25 a quart paint.
The Paint Shop is premixed, ready to spray lacquer. No hardener needed, though I think they do have one if you want a tougher finish. It is base coat/clear coat. Lays down very well, takes to the Norbie Technique very well.
Unless you get a fantastic deal on a used gun, a Harbor Freight gun will spray it just fine. I've been using one for a while now, it actually does a better job that the high dollar DeVelbiss I used to use. I have no problem suggesting them to a novice/hobbyist who does not have the need or budget to spend the money on high dollar equipment.
I used this paint on the bumpers of my truck, turned out fine and is showing no deterioration since I painted them about 4 years ago.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
Really depends on how nice you want it. Plenty of argument either way.

Decide what you want and how much your willing to spend to get to that point. Then in all likelihood you will have it!


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0