Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,430 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 | I have an electronic sender on the trans and electronic speedo. I have a 2 speed rear end.
For a cable speedo it is no problem... Just install a speedo "transmission" in line to the speedometer cable and you're good to go.
For the electronic? Does anyone make a box that accepts a "low range" input (from the 2 speed shift switch) that will change the speedo ratio?
Other solutions?
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 120 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 120 | I cant imagine any mod was made for original 2 speed rear trucks- the speedo was probably correct in one ratio and wrong in the other? Make a different set of marks on the speedo for the incorrect range?
'47 Canadian RHD 1.5 ton truck
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | anyoldiron, from the factory 2-speed rear trucks were equipped with a speedo adapter that was electrically or vacuum operated to change when the rear was shifted journeyman, never seen such a devise for electronic trans/speedo, but if there were such in the US or Canada, I doubt they'd ship to Russia right now  Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I'm not sure if there is a cleaner solution, seems like there ought to be something available from a later model medium duty truck with 2 speed rear... But this may work with a switch to put it in or out of the circuit as you shift the rear axle. http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/ | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 | I've seen the Dakota Digital 5 unit and am talking with the tech there. It is unclear whether it will work with the two different R&P ratios.
I have even considered GPS units (Dakota Digital or Classic Instruments' "SkyDrive" SN81. I would feel more comfortable with something driven off the vehicle itself.
I am considering purchasing a ABS ring and sensor and machining one of the front hubs to accommodate it, but that seems like a lot of effort and who knows if the ring (1999 P30 Chevrolet) would fit even with machining? A bit of a risky purchase.
...also, the project is in California | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 | The late model truck part is a great idea.
What would this unit be called? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I think if anyone would know, these people would know. http://www.zepco.com/They used to make all kind of speedo and tach adapters for me. Of course now the speedo sensor sends a signal to the ECM and the ECM is programed to send a signal to the speedo. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 | Do you have a tachometer? If so, it might be possible to come up with an equivalent RPM/speed range in both axle ratios and make a set of stick-on pointers on the tach face corresponding to different speeds. Not a perfect solution, but it might be a good approximation. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Install two of the Dakota units and calibrate one for each rear ratio. Wire the two output signals (one from each unit) to the speedometer. Have the 2-speed rear selector switch turn on and off the correct unit to match the rear. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | You and I are thinking about the same thing Mike. With any luck the actual electronic speedometer can be programmed for one correct speed/ratio, and use one Dakota Digital either in series with the normal sender or removed from the circuit to make a change in the pulses equal to the ratio change in the rear axle. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 | I may have found a ray of hope.
As Grigg mentioned, later model (1990's) topkicks had all electronic speedos and also were available with 2 speed axles.
From what I understand, There is a "buffer" of sorts that gets a signal from the hi-low switch and keeps the output to the speedo accurate.
I am looking for a part number or even a name for this component. All I have now is "VSSB" (buffer) module. I have had no luck searching for it on google. One place called something a "VSS corrector".
I really need to find a part name and part number for this. It really should not be this much effort. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 | Anyone on the what this part might be called?
Not sure why this is so difficult for me to find... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 50 | I think I may have found a possible solution: Dragonaero speed adapter I have never heard of this company, but it seems like this is exactly what I am looking for. Any input? | | |
| |