The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, cmayna, JW51, BC59, Forty9), 108 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,457
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
1949 chevy 3100

Do I need any kind of special tools to replace all pads and hardware on this huck system? Looks like I see some rivets?... Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys


1964 impala ss
1949 chevy 3100
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Huck brakes are much easier to work on than Bendix brakes. I can't think of any special tools required, but then I usually don't used specialty tools for much of anything, and get by with vicegrips, channel locks, screw drivers, hammers, and cuss words.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
New brake shoes are bonded to the metal part of the shoe. You can get replacements from local parts house like NAPA. They might want a core so give them your old ones. No special tools required. Only tricky part is removing the funky locking washers on the Huck system. A flat blade screw driver will work just fine. Only bend them until they slip off. Hard part is getting the pin clear from the backing plate. It can be done, just.


Steve H
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
Ok I'm missing a pin and I'm unsure on where to find one. .. it's the bottom one with the spring in this diagram that holds the two brackets together on one side. So fast looks like I'll need a drum also. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

http://talk.classicparts.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5052&d=1262896639


1964 impala ss
1949 chevy 3100
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125


1964 impala ss
1949 chevy 3100
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
My best guess, car not truck. The MC looks different.
The rear wheel cylinder looks like this:http://www.classicparts.com/1947-52-Wheel-Cylinder/productinfo/71-141/#.VNOb7kfF9mM
The front wheel cylinder looks like this:http://www.classicparts.com/1947-50-Wheel-Cylinder-Front-EW3406/productinfo/71-105/#.VNOchEfF9mM
And the Master Cylinder(MC) looks like this:http://www.classicparts.com/1947-50-Master-Cylinder-1_2-Ton/productinfo/71-205/#.VNOc10fF9mM
New Brake shoes look like this:http://www.classicparts.com/1941-50-Brake-Shoes-Front-Rear/productinfo/71-011/#.VNOdGEfF9mM
And the front drums if needed look like this:http://www.classicparts.com/1941-50-Brake-Drums-Front-1_2-Ton/productinfo/71-408/#.VNOdUEfF9mM
While the rear look like this:http://www.classicparts.com/1941-50-Brake-Drums-Rear-1_2-Ton/productinfo/71-409/#.VNOdl0fF9mM
But you can repair a lot of the wheel cylinders with these: Front http://www.classicparts.com/1947-52...3_4-Ton/productinfo/71-171/#.VNOd30fF9mM
and rear http://www.classicparts.com/1947-50-Wheel-Cylinder-Kit-Rear-1_2-Ton/productinfo/71-181/#.VNOeFUfF9mM
You might use this to fix the MC: http://www.classicparts.com/1941-50-Master-Cylinder-Kit-1_2-Ton/productinfo/71-255/#.VNOeTEfF9mM
You can get these: http://www.classicparts.com/1947-52-Huck-Brake-Anchor-Pin-Lock-Clip/productinfo/71-514/#.VNOemkfF9mM
And you might find that pin in the "Parts for sale" forum. There are other vendors for the parts. This vendor has good pictures to help you as you try to find what you need. Just ask for "Huck" brake parts. I don't know if any one is making the pin so look at the parts for sale.


Steve H
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
Thanks Steve I'm also having a very hard to finding the pins? That screw into the wheel cylinder adjusters. .. seems they don't come with the rebuild kit which I find VERY weird. ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/pdinkle75/Screenshot_2015-02-05-12-37-12-1_zpsc10bhxyf.png

Last edited by pking75; 02/05/2015 6:40 PM.

1964 impala ss
1949 chevy 3100
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 125
Thanks Steve I'm also having a very hard to finding the pins? That screw into the wheel cylinder adjusters. .. seems they don't come with the rebuild kit which I find VERY weird. ...


1964 impala ss
1949 chevy 3100
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
I got my rebuild kit from NAPA. It had new cups but no "pins" I just cleaned up my old ones. If yours are gone try the parts for sale forum. Some one will have something.


Steve H
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
Try Rock Auto they have the best price I have found and ship to your door. www.rockauto.com


"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0