The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (5 Window 9434, Jon G, John Dlugos, jmoore, moparguy), 96 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 41
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 41
I have decided I'm really in favor of having my cab dipped to strip rust & paint. The only problem is, no one in the Phoenix metro area has the facilities to dip the cab in primer after stripping.

The guy at Redi-Strip recommends "getting the primer everywhere you can." Nice. Seeing as how the cowl vent channels are probably the hardest place to get primer, yet the primary channel for water flow off of the windshield, I'm not in favor of this idea.

My question: if I have the cab dipped, but can't get it dipped in primer, are there any secrets to getting primer into the nooks and crannies?

Ed

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
where did you look for a place to dip the whole cab? I am in Dallas tx there should be somebody here, but I dont know where to look.
Brad

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 41
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 41
I did a search on qwestdex.com using a category of "paint removing". Some of the results you get will not necessarily be for automotive paint stripping, so you have to call and make sure they are before you start talking about cabs and sheet metal, etc. There is also a chain called Redi-Strip which is all over the US and Canada.

Ed

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 203
Slayte, make sure they neutralize that acid, I've seen some horror shows lately. After two and three years it starts to show up at seams - one in particular is the horisontal one on the firewall and the seam between the upper and lower cab. It starts to bleed. Look real close at all your options. As far as priming - I rolled my cab onto the fire wall on a piece of plywood and sprayed the bejesus out of everything I could see on the bottom, I waited for it to flash and did it all again. Then rolled it back and leaned it way over to one side and then the other while I sprayed lots of primer on it. I've had mine on the road for five years and she still gets lots of great comments ... but I didn't get it dipped, I had it sandblasted. Nowadays I would look closely at soda blasting and the use Zero Rust ... I used SB & ZR on my '51 frame and cab that I'm working on - seems great I'm really happy with the results.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 50
R
rat Offline
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 50
I have never heard of dipping the cab in PRIMER. I had my gas tank dipped in a place just east of the 101 in Tempe AZ, but I didn't see anything that would be aprimer dip. Have you seen a cab dipped in primer? How did it look afterwards?


'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 25
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 25
If y'all had ever seen the size of the vats they use to dip bodys in and epoxy primmer costing 40 to $50.00 a qt. you would know why you can't find anyone with a vat full of primmer that would dry up in a couple of days to dip your cab for you.I had mine acid dipped and they told me not to handle it to much with bare hands and when I got it home to shoot it with epoxy primmer. Good luck in your search.......J.D.Poole


It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.......
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 41
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 41
rat, I have never seen a cab dipped in primer, but I hear it looks good. Bullfoot said he had a couple of cabs primer dipped, and there was another post from a guy in Canada who had his primer dipped at a Redi-Strip up there. I'm not sure how they deal with the dry-out problem that Muygrande mentioned, and, as he said, it is an expensive operation to get started, so I'm sure they are quite rare.

Can anyone tell me more about soda blasting? Is it a home project, or best left to professionals?

Fatfenders, I see a post from you last Christmas saying you thought the soda didn't do well on rust, and you were having trouble with the residue it left behind. How did that work out?

Thanks,
Ed

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 77
B
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 77
last body i had dipped waz 24 hrs ago. de EPA shut him down. but reddy strip that did mine did a fine job dipped de body upside down and cleaned if then dipped it again then left a coating on so we could do body repair/ welding/ lead work and that stoped rerust untill all the body work waz done. then we removed /washed the coating off. places we could not spray primer ie. inside channels we flooded with primer thru holes and used long tubes to flow paint. okey dokey any body thought of powercoating after dipping?? :confused: that spray goes to the grounded piece ie. de spray will be drawn to all charged metals got to spray in to the chanels. grin i thinkzzzzzzzz


i thinkzz traveling along at terminal velocity will soon wear a body out.

i will not die in shame if i never finish my dreams because my family iz my reality

can't wait until we can bed de ponys down, lite de fire, put on a big ol pot of coffee, and talk about how strong and brave our teams are.

bullfoot thinkszzzzzzzzzzz
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Slayte-and anyone else interested-for an illustrated idea of what goes on during the chemical/electrolytic stripping process, check out www.redi-strip.com Might not be a bad idea to add this to the links page. Hmm.....

Hope this helps

Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To brsdb in Dallas. There is a place in Ft.Worth, Texas that dips autos called Metal Rehab, they also have a web site. www.metalrehab.com

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 40
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 40
I'm not sure what its called but I heard of a process where the paint gun is positive charged and grounded too the part to be painted ( or primered ) and it will pull the paint onto the metal . If you would cut open the windsheild post ( to chop the top ) you would see paint ( or primer ) inside the post . My buddy had his stock car frame painted this way and later on when he needed to replace a wrecked section , the inside was completely coated ! He also said that there was almost no overspray while it was being sprayed .

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
powder
coating


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
Someone was talking about "dip" painting a while back, you fill the vat with some heavier-than-paint material, then float a layer of paint/primer on the top. Like oil and vinegar they don't mix, and you wouldn't have to fill the vat. I can't imagine you'd hit all surfaces, i.e. under the dash, etc.

Sorry, dunno who could do it fer ya.

-Boyo


'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0