The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Otto Skorzeny, Wally / Montana, Jeff Ogden, Peggy M, amtrakjoe, moparguy, mvigo, walter74), 83 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,702
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
I have a 66 Suburban I am restoring, and I'm getting to the point of working on the interior. The burb still has the original cardboard type material in the ceiling, and has the original paint on it. My questions are: How well will that ceiling material repaint, and also, will a HVLP Gun, with the top cup on it, work for painting the ceiling. I am not a body man, and the gun is just a harbor freight toy. It has worked extremely well on the engine compartment and wheels. Thanks for your help.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

That gun will do the job (we use them all the time for that type of job).

Are you going to used the old cardboard or get new cardboard?

If you have the cardboard out of the truck, paint/seal both sides and the edges. This will lessen moisture-induced warping.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
If you are trying to paint the headliner in the truck, a gravity feed gun will leak paint out of the vent.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
Yes, I guess that was my main concern. If tipping it up at such an angle, would it leak out, or start sucking air, rather than all paint.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
Add an dekups system and you can use it at any angle. Even upside down.

N
Neverdone
Unregistered
Neverdone
Unregistered
N
66Burb ,
I am no expert but when I came to the ceiling paint problem on my 66 I took an old bottom canister type gun and bent the suction tube back the other way so it is in the paint when tilted , worked fine for me . I also set the fan to horizontal spray .
Dan

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
2nd what Ssrjim says - one of the touted DeKupps system benefits is "spraying at any angle".

I can't speak to how well it works, but I am in a similar situation. Painting the frame of a 1950 2-ton, literally the first thing I've EVER painted with a paint gun. Gravity feed HVLP. My first run was caused because I dripped paint out of the vent hole!

Trying to paint the bottom of the frame is awkward, at best. You can physically cover the vent hole with your finger to prevent the leak out, but without a mostly full cup, you're still highly limited on the angle.

The DeKupps aren't all that expensive at Eastwood, and their are adaptors for nearly any gun, apparently. Check it out.

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0