The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, 3B, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, Joe H), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,246
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1081767 01/27/2015 5:28 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I need to replace all 60 of the X mounted extension springs that connect the coil springs together in my 1956 seat bottom. Does anyone have a source for these small springs? What are they called? They don't have hooks on the ends they just attach to the coil spring by corkscrewing around a turn or two.

Thanks,

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #1081789 01/27/2015 1:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
And how will you replace them Mike? I would think there has to
be a special wrapping tool to install them.

Denny G


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Mike B #1081799 01/27/2015 2:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 93
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 93
Wouldn't it be easier to find a solid seat bottom?


1947 GMC Truck 5 window, Long Bed
2008 Corvette Roadster
2008 Harley Davidson FXDL
2011 F150 Ecoboost 4X4
2015 Subaru Outback AWD
"only the strong survive"
Mike B #1081820 01/27/2015 4:45 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
check McMaster-Carr, they have a wide variety of hardware. Mike

Mike B #1081823 01/27/2015 5:23 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Denny, the springs are easy to remove and replace, no special tools needed. I just want to replace all of the little springs as most of what I have are rusty and I thought it might help firm the seat up.

ctheusa, good solid seats are hard to find in the Mid-Atlantic area. What I have is very solid, I have about 10-12 broken little springs (not the big coil springs) and figured I'd replace them all while I have the seat apart.

bluedot38, Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #1082219 01/29/2015 6:32 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I ordered "cut to length" springs from McMaster-Carr yesterday and they showed up today...that's fast service. They look like they will work.

Thanks everyone,

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #1082220 01/29/2015 6:40 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
Glad to hear that, and to be a help, along with the others

Mike

Mike B #1082244 01/29/2015 2:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Now ya gotta put some pictures up of that re-do Mike. Still
wondering how you're gonna put that wrap around the main spring.

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Mike B #1082247 01/29/2015 2:47 PM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 93
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 93
Agreed- thought it was the large verticle springs deformed. Sounds doable now.
(Need to read better)

ctheusa, "good solid seats are hard to find in the Mid-Atlantic area. What I have is very solid, I have about 10-12 broken little springs (not the big coil springs) and figured I'd replace them all while I have the seat apart."

Last edited by ctheusa; 01/29/2015 2:48 PM.

1947 GMC Truck 5 window, Long Bed
2008 Corvette Roadster
2008 Harley Davidson FXDL
2011 F150 Ecoboost 4X4
2015 Subaru Outback AWD
"only the strong survive"

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0