Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (baldeagle),
158
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 88 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 88 | I have a 59 3800. With a stock fuse box. It has posts for radio, heater, some lights, and then a few posts that aren't marked. Or have lost there markings does anybody know what posts are hot when the ignition switch is off? I know the cig lighter, and horn are always hot. But no fuses for them. I want to plug my radio wire into the fuse box. Not the radio hot wire but the wire you use to keep the preset station and clock I'm trying to avoid hooking the wire to the POS on the battery | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Your "stock" fuse box would actually be an accessory fuse box. It and radios and heaters were dealer installed accessories in those days.
As far as what terminals are hot and when, a multimeter will tell you. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | not totally clear, but labels here, and usually the top tab on the main strip [left side] is the power connection - but as Cletis says, a meter is the best check Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | I am begging you, please add an inline fuse to the cig lighter! If you do this, you and I can sleep better at night (which is the most likely time of day for a rodent to gnaw on your wires). Carl Because I care.
Last edited by 52Carl; 01/18/2015 2:41 AM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | panman and Carl - there is indeed a fuse on the panel for the accessory lighter - it's the one labeled "ACC" Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | Before Mrs. Wally became Mrs. Wally, we were sitting in my '51 Chevy Deluxe watching the submarine races. The lighter started smoking and glowing red hot from under the dash. I quickly pulled off the wire and burned my hand. I don't know how that was fused but I have removed the lighter wire from my '48.
Pictures of the '51 are in the link shown in my signature.
1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | The '58 Shop Manual wiring diagram appears to show the cigar lighter wired to the ignition switch hot side with no fuse. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Wally, have not heard that in 50 years. Submarine races, brings back memories. Old trucks may or may not have a fuse panel. Bottom line: Everything needs to be fused. I add fusible links on major feed lines from battery also. I also recommend a Voltmeter not an ammeter, for safety. Carl and I are in the same paranoid group therapy program at the hospital via skipe. "I disconnect my battery at night on old trucks." There, I've said it.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | The '58 Shop Manual wiring diagram appears to show the cigar lighter wired to the ignition switch hot side with no fuse. that's shown in all the TF diagrams from 55.2, but note that it's shown as a dotted line, meaning it's an accessory, same as the optional electric wipers also shown with no fuse - the TF years only got a fuse panel [also on the diagrams w/ dotted lines] if there were a number of optional accessories installed from new Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Before Mrs. Wally became Mrs. Wally, we were sitting in my '51 Chevy Deluxe watching the submarine races. The lighter started smoking and glowing red hot from under the dash. I quickly pulled off the wire and burned my hand. I don't know how that was fused but I have removed the lighter wire from my '48.
Pictures of the '51 are in the link shown in my signature. Been there done that (except for, that I am pretty sure that it wasn't with "Mrs. Wally before she was Mrs. Wally, nor after she became Mrs. Wally", for that matter.  ). Molten copper leaves a bad mark on the ole mitts. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | |
| |