The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna, tclederman, klhansen, KEVINSKI, StevenO, 55shaker), 122 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1070639 11/29/2014 2:44 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
How should I paint parts that come with that black primer on them? Do I just spray them with grey primer and final sand before top coat? Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Craig


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
that's what I do, the EDP is about as good as epoxy primer, no need to do more than wipe down with a grease/wax remover

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
I asked the paint supply shop where I get my supplies that very question. They suggested scuff it, sealer, color, then clear. That is my plan anyway.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
I have found that the EDP on the repair panels which I have purchased to be fragile and easy to scratch off while fitting panels. For this reason, it is always removed before spraying with epoxy primer. I would like to know where the panels came from that had EDP which is about as good as epoxy primer.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Like Carl I find that the EDP scratches easily and some of my panel are already scratched up which is why I asked the question.

Carl what do you do to remove all the coating before epoxy primer?


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
I've found rusty finger prints under EDP... whats that tell ya?

I just sand it off with 80 grit on a circular sander then switch to random orbital for final pass before W&G.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
What Caso said is also a concern of mine. A Chinese parts stamper is not my first choice for applying the most critical first application of paint.
As far as what I do to remove the EDP, I use a Norton paint stripper disc. If you haven't tried one of those on an electric grinder, you are missing out on a must-have tool. It eats paint and doesn't gouge the metal.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Okay guys, thanks for all the response. I guess I'm off to get some 80 grit and a Norton sand disk!! drive


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Like Bill, I never had any problems with EDP either. Two of the parts I've used with it were OEM GM parts (tailgate and front bed panel), and I have one Goodmark fender. I just did the scuff/seal/prime/paint routine, no problems so far.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes, I suspect the Chinese parts comment is why some folks have problems [an AD specific thing wink ]
I've found US made parts the EDP is like epoxy, hardly even any scuffing from shelf wear and not easy to remove

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Originally Posted by red58
yes, I suspect the Chinese parts comment is why some folks have problems [an AD specific thing wink ]
I've found US made parts the EDP is like epoxy, hardly even any scuffing from shelf wear and not easy to remove

Bill
Good point Bill. I think that our panels are dipped into something which is black in color and dries after applied, and nothing more.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Well I was going to strip my parts down and re-prime but with all the hard to get at areas and number of parts I'm rethinking my approach. I also have a new issue with a couple of parts that have come with the "weld through" primer. I don't know why an inner fender would have weld through primer but that's the way they came. The majority of my parts are from Dynacore and seem to be of good quality. I'd like to just scuff and use two part epoxy before topcoat. Any body have any experience with this approach on both the EDP and Weld Through?


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
If you are referring to the horrible gray primer on the inner-to-outer cowl replacement panels as weld-through primer, I primed over it after welding it into place. As far as the black primered parts, I cleaned them and primed the backsides of the panels, and stripped the paint off of the external surfaces before epoxy primer.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
I have always scuffed and epoxy prime ( or sealer as I and other like to call it) and paint. Anytime I do not know what the product is made from I will use DP40 epoxy primer first. I have been using PPG products for close to 25 years and my father has been using them for longer than that. Any issues I have had have been from me and not the product!

Scuff. Prime. Paint. Done. Move on to something else!


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Originally Posted by RDomeck
I have always scuffed and epoxy prime ( or sealer as I and other like to call it) and paint. Anytime I do not know what the product is made from I will use DP40 epoxy primer first. I have been using PPG products for close to 25 years and my father has been using them for longer than that. Any issues I have had have been from me and not the product!

Scuff. Prime. Paint. Done. Move on to something else!
So are you saying that if we can nearly scratch the Chinese black paint off the patch panels with our finger nails, it would be fine to scuff and prime? I know epoxy primer is tough, but if the mystery paint underneath it comes off that easily, I have visions of the final paint coming off in sheets. It would only be necessary to remove this Chinese paint from just the patch panels. Not a big task.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
I don't like to use Chinese parts and have been able to avoid them. If I did have to use them.... Then yes I would remove the chinese crap and then start with fresh chinese metal!!


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Originally Posted by RDomeck
I don't like to use Chinese parts and have been able to avoid them. If I did have to use them.... Then yes I would remove the chinese crap and then start with fresh chinese metal!!
The "fresh chinese metal" phrase made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that!
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Okay, I'm going with Carl's approach. Last question on this topic.. what is the Norton strip disk grit that takes the paint off but doesn't damage the metal? Part number or hot link to a supplier maybe?

Thanks all for the discussion on this one it helps a lot.
Craig


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
The only Norton disc that I am aware of is blue in color and doesn't have a grit rating. I get mine from Sears.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Okay thanks. Off to sears to check it out.


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
Homedepot and lowes have them too.

Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Try a product From SAIT/United Abrasives called SAIT- Strip goes on a 4 1/2" grinder, wheel p/n 77230. Works great on paint. They make other shaft styles also.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Thanks for all the tips guys.


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0