Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,510 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 | All, I have been driving my old 52 thanks to my grandpa. When we (grandkids) were young, he would take us to coffee/ cokes and let us shift. I have always loved the sound the truck made in first gear and in reverse. Now that he has passed I love the sound when my truck makes it because I remember those days with him. My question is this, I am thinking of going to the closed drive line. If I change the rear end, will I lose that sound? Thanks all, Steven
Take care, Steven No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | . . My question is this, I am thinking of going to the closed drive line. If I change the rear end, will I lose that sound? Thanks all, Steven What size/model 1952 Chevrolet truck do you have? What transmission and rear end do you have? What transmission will you change-to? An original 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton truck would have had a closed drive line (torque-tube, enclosed drive-shaft) and a 4.11 ratio rear end. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | I've always loved that sound too. I replaced my three speed with a T5 and the torque-tube rear with an open rear and still have that sound. It never realy did it in first, nor does it now, but reverse still has the sound. | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 | Thanks for the reply guys....
Size: 3100 short bed Transmission: SM420 Muncie Transmission change: I have been told there is an adaptor for the back of the trans to convert it for open drive line use?
twotone - did you change the motor in your truck?
If the rear end does not aid in the sound I may try and go to an open drive line. That would solve some of my oil leakage....
Take care, Steven No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 96 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 96 | It's a property of the transmission. first and revers use the same gear. SM420 is a good trans they used it quite a while | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 | well, maybe i should start looking for a 55 56 chevy truck rolling chassy w engine and tranny...
513600 - I was hoping it was something like that! Thanks guys..
Take care, Steven No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | twotone - did you change the motor in your truck? Nope, just the transmission, drive shaft, and the rear end center section (out with the 4.11, in with the 3.90). Still running the 216. | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 | Did you notice a change going to the 3.90? I'm going for the 3.38....but, one thing at a time...
Take care, Steven No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Stove, the 3.38 is for the TF series, so you'd need a 55.2-59 rear, the AD rears take the 3.55
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes and yes, although 59 introduced some different ratios and a posi style you don't want
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 107 | Thanks for that Bill! I will adjust my search to 55-58. I have my Dad looking back home. Don't want to get robbed on eBay.....
Take care, Steven No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | Did you notice a change going to the 3.90? I'm going for the 3.38....but, one thing at a time... I noticed a huge difference but I changed to the 3.90 the same time I changed to the T5 Trans. I do know that if I'd run a 3.38 instead of the 3.90 I would never get out of third gear. You'll have to pair your rear end to whatever transmission you will use, also taking tire size into account. The center section or "guts" will work from '55 up to '61 or '62, just make sure of what you're getting. I'm using one from a '61 1/2 ton that had a 350.
Last edited by twotone; 01/30/2015 5:03 PM. Reason: I spell like a second grader :(
| | |
| |