Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,178 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | Tried a search, no luck.
Working on a 1950 2-ton, but think this applies to all the trucks with Huck Brakes, and maybe Bendix as well.
What are people replacing the brake anchor pin retainers with? The original, "deformable" clips are available, but pricey, so I'm wondering: Is anyone replacing these with standard e-clips? The e-clips are about half as thin as the originals, but I don't see why you couldn't slip 2 of them on there if you wanted. There's no end-thrust on the shoes, so I don't see much risk.
Just wondering what others have done.
-Michael | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Get the original clips. No need to risk the driving public or yourself by propelling 2 tons down the road with experimental e-clips. One life is well worth a few dollars. (Well, most of them are.) Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I can tell you that single e-clips will bend, at least that is what happened when I tried the experiment. The hard part is getting the originals in the correct size. I believe there was a source posted a while ago that stocked all different sizes. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Like to hear more bout that source Fred. I think I could only find the two sizes that were used on my '50, 3600. Don't remember what the pin diameters were but there are HD external retaining rings available with thicknesses of .050 to .062". Don't see why the wouldn't work just as well if not better than the half arsed clips that the factory used. http://www.prospectfastener.com/store/retaining-ring/external/dg
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 363 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 363 | i might be thinking of something different but i got the anchor pin clips at filling station for 4 bucks. i have a 52 chevy 1ton. don't know if they r the same. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | Tried a search, no luck.
Working on a 1950 2-ton, but think this applies to all the trucks with Huck Brakes, and maybe Bendix as well.
What are people replacing the brake anchor pin retainers with? The original, "deformable" clips are available, but pricey, so I'm wondering: Is anyone replacing these with standard e-clips? The e-clips are about half as thin as the originals, but I don't see why you couldn't slip 2 of them on there if you wanted. There's no end-thrust on the shoes, so I don't see much risk.
Just wondering what others have done.
-Michael I have considered using e-clips for the small pin on Huck brakes. I think if you used two and alternated them there would be greater contact surface than the original clips. I bought a set of the larger clips from the link below. They seem to be of decent quality and the price is reasonable. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-1...arts_Accessories&hash=item5b08bbce36Paul | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 581 | I guess Denny sorta underlined it for me . . . the originals DO seem "Half-arsed". You're really only getting holding power on half the retainer. I guess e-clips aren't necessarily better, though you get retention beyond 180 degrees, at least.
And yeah, the big bolts have pins that are over an inch in diameter, so the clips are uncommon.
I think I'll futz around with some e-clips and snap rings and see if I'm confident in their performance - I'll report back.
-Michael | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | As Fred pointed out earlier, thin retaining rings that don't fit the slot could bend or deform. Even though there should be very little axial load on the pins, if your going to use a retaining ring then go with the thick heavy duty ones as noted in the link. To work properly and prevent axial displacement, they should be matched to the width of the slot. The problem with using retaining rings for us, is trying to find a source for the right ones in small quantities. e-clips or better yet, external clip rings would be my choice if I could find them in the correct thickness.
dg
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | And yeah, the big bolts have pins that are over an inch in diameter, so the clips are uncommon. Michael, The clips at the link I posted were for my 1 1/2 ton bigbolt, I believe they are the same as for your truck. If you would like, send me your brake pin measurements and I will check compatibility. Paul | | |
| |