The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (RLB, Rusty Heaps), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1077865 01/07/2015 4:38 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Well after having my 1952 2 ton for three years I think I finally have plan and parts gathered to do my conversion. As of right now the truck is a functional dump truck with @ a 13' bed powered by a 1955 261.

parts I have gathered. I have a complete 98 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with vortec 350, nv4500 5 speed and transfer case. I have a set of 79 3/4 ton 4x4 axles and a mid 90s dually rear end. also have steel adapters to convert front axle to a dually wheel.

My plan in to transplant the engine, trans and transfer case in to the truck and install a pto on the trans to keep the dump bed functioning. swap the 2 ton axles and convert to one tone 16" wheels with a 315/75-16 tire which are about 35" tall. the front axle is too wide so I will also have to set up on fab table and narrow front axle. also the new model transfer case front drive shaft is on the driver side and the older front axle I have is on the pass side. so when I narrow I will have to swap tubes to put the pumpkin on the driver side. once I get running I am thinking of taking the bed down to about 10'.

I planning on taking plenty of pictures and posting. let me know what yall think or any other problems I may run into.


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I don't understand what you are doing with the 90's dually rear...is that part of the project?

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Yes the 4x4 axles are only 3/4 ton i have the adapters for the front. Will use the one ton for the rear. Both the 3/4 and one ton are 14 bolt floaters so i should be able to take gear from 3/4 ton and put in the one ton rear axle if its not already the same.


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
End result will be a 4x4 dually


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
Sounds crazy cool smile Do you have pictures of your truck now ?


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Yes, will have to figure out how to post them.


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I didn't know the rear gears were interchangeable from 3/4 to 1-ton...learn something new every day.

You can't post pictures on the Stovebolt web page, you have to put your pictures in a photo host site like Photobucket or Flicker and then share the link with us. There's instructions on the bottom left of this page...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
I asuming they interchange. They are both 14 bolts and look the same other than one is wider than the other.


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/128870297@N08/16047915308/


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Might have to move the steering box in front of the axle like in the donor.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by EdPruss
Might have to move the steering box in front of the axle like in the donor.

Thanks, i will look at that. Prob wont hurt to have power steering either


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Does anyone know if the engine mount kits they make for the half ton trucks to swap to the 350sbc engine will also work on my 2 ton.


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
They ought to. The front part of the frame is very nearly the same, same shape at least but some thicker metal.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Well after measuring and debating, I've decided to go in a little different direction. instead of pulling engine and trans out of donor truck I've decided to put my cab and fenders on the donor truck chassis. This is going to save a ton of work. the only thing I was really worried about was the front tires sticking out of the fenders too much. After setting in place I don't think it looks too bad.
this is a 98' k2500 4x4 I am converting to a Dually. I installed adapters to the front and have a rear axle to swap in the rear. will end up with a 8-9 ft. flat bed but undecided if I want to mount the dump bed of the original chassis yet. Pictures below,

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8dLHV1

Last edited by Etraugott; 02/26/2015 6:21 PM.

52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
I guess its not a big bolt any more


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton



Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
Another concern I have is I was planning in mounting the pedals from the 98 into the 52 cab but am unsure if the fire wall is strong enough to hold the load.


52' Chevy 6400 2 ton




Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0