The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (R&S 51 GMC, Wayne67vert, Peggy M, baldeagle, delky), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
I was looking for a disc brake conversion for my 39 jc truck and found an article on the stovebolt tech tips.but I just can't fully understand it.he got his parts from a nissan hardbody truck which is awesome because it keeps it 6 lugs and that's what I want.now the article says to measure the seal and bearings id and the spindle od.and he says to blue it? What does that mean? Any and all help is always appreciated.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
I did a disc brake conversion on my '38 1 ton keeping 6 lugs. I used 78-80 c1500 calipers and 78-80 k1500 rotors.
The master cylinder is a 1 inch bore. I fabricated my caliper brackets out of plywood to get the right shape and positioning then cut them out of steel.
I installed tapered bearings, residual valves, ran new lines and I was good to go or stop. smile

Last edited by Wayne67vert; 01/03/2015 1:45 PM.

Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
With this set up you keep your original spindles and no mods needed?

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
I did change the axle to a 51 for the larger king pins. But it will work with your axle and spindles.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
I think the "to blue it" advise was to use machinists blue dye to confirm fit. Too close, and the "blue" is rubbed off. The advise from Wayne67vert is good. You can also keep the "ball" bearings if you want. That should get some comments. The backing plates have to come off so look at the tech tips and be careful to get stuff to fit properly. The plywood pattern idea is a good one. Makes getting a good fit and proper spacing a less frustrating effort.


Steve H

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0