The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (greenie-reddy, Hotrod Lincoln, Dusty53), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1076283 12/31/2014 4:16 AM
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 32
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 32
Well I figure there are some parts I can actually start working on now. I have springs for my '37 truck, but no real idea what the original seats looks like. Anyone have photos/references/sources for material options on one of these? My aim is AACA original winning. I'm years away, but gotta start! I can make my own covers, so I just need the pattern/material.


-Doug Frantz
37 Chevy 1.5 ton and various other scraps of iron still on the road
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 32
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 32
Good stuff, so what sort of material was proper for this vehicle?


-Doug Frantz
37 Chevy 1.5 ton and various other scraps of iron still on the road
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by Frantz
Good stuff, so what sort of material was proper for this vehicle?
I don't know about the trucks but the cars had Mohair. Hampton Coach has been the gold standard for original restoration interiors on old cars for a long time. I don't know about trucks. I'd call them if I was wanting to go the OEM restoration route. They have pre cut kits for most antique cars, again I don't know about trucks. They aren't cheap though.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 32
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 32
I've purchased a commercial sewing machine thats 21 years older than the truck, so I figure I'll put that to use and make my own. The pattern should be pretty easy to fabricate once I know the materials. I'll see what I can find pictures of this summer show season.


-Doug Frantz
37 Chevy 1.5 ton and various other scraps of iron still on the road
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
The original seats in all of the 1937 trucks was a vinyl material the looked like the skin of a football. There are some of the newer leather materials that also look the same. All of the interiors were brown in color.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Bill Hirsch sells leather material, they might also carry the vinyl for your seat. I see them at the Hershey Flea Market every year.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
I got samples from Hampton Coach and took them to a local upholster and he was able to buy the same fabric at a large discount. I went with a brown leatherite vinyl that came very nice.


1936 GMC T-14 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Very nice looking truck dunfire. I wasn't aware that GMC trucks
had pleated seats with piping in '36 dunfire. I've been under
the impression that they were plain flat seats with french stitching.
Am I mistaken or did you find some documentation that shows the
factory upholstery as you have it?
Thanks
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
Denny, your probably correct. There is no piping but the pleats were put in by the upholster who copied the pattern of the seats that I took to him.


1936 GMC T-14 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Oh but you do have piping at the seams, not french stitching:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/158719709/original

Only reason I've made mention is that the OP said he's aim is
for AACA original winning appearance.

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
Denny, you are correct, I need better glasses! I remember the upholster had asked if I wanted piping on the front of the seat and I told him absolutely not and it stuck in my head that there was no piping at all.


1936 GMC T-14 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0