The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (stlcardinalsguy, Otto Skorzeny), 138 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to replace the fuel filler grommet ('64) with the fuel tank still in place?
- or is the grommet such a snug fit into the body that it the tank must be removed first and the filler neck pushed back thru from inside after the grommet is replaced?

My grommet is in a bad state and the truck is being repainted, but I don't much want to disturb the tank at present

Advice welcomed, thanks Limey

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 175
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 175
It's been awhile since I did mine but I think my tank was in place. I think I removed the spout which is connected to the tank via short rubber hoses and clamps then replaced the grommet and then replaced the spout. I bought two or three grommets before I found a good one. Steele Rubber makes the best I could find.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Put it in a bowl of HOT water for ten minutes or so, it will help a LOT to get it in. But removing the filler neck is needed anyway you look at it.


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
OK thanks Guys. I'll need to look more closely as I thought the filler neck looked like it was a solid metal tube as part of the tank - but I guess there must be a rubber connector somewhere.
Limey

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
The tank has a short piece of filler tube comming from the tank. The you have a short piece of hose that is clamped around the filler comming from the tank and the filler that protrudes through the side of your cab. Move your seat forward and use a screw driver loosen the upper clamp and slowly pull the upper filler tube from the cab. Sometimes you will need to grease it or lubricate it well. Carefully use a utility knife to cut the old filler tube grommet so you can remove it.

After it's gone clean up the hole.You might want to prime it to protect it some more. Fit your new grommet in place, make sure you set it the correct way. Lubricate the inside with a non-attacing oil (cooking oil) and carefully push/slide the old filler neck on place (if it's a good grommet this will need a bit of muscle it's supposed to be tight), and re tighten clamp.

That's all there is to it.
Jake


1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
thanks Jake I'll get to it
Limey

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Try to buy a GM grommet, the reproductions start oozing down the side of the truck in a few days. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
Got one coming from Chevy Duty, so will have to wait & see the quality.
As I'm in England any part at all is a good part!

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
Hey Limey, should I use Armor-All on the leather petcock gasket of my '29 Brough-Superior ?

No, not serious.

Is your 'bolt a right hand drive?


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
Looking at this more closely I find the rubber filler hose has a split (which explains the gas smell when you fill up!) Access to the tube looks very bad.....

Any advice on replacing the rubber hose (on a '64)? Getting it off should not be a problem but is it possible to fit the hose onto the tank without removing the tank?? Any tips?

Thanks Guys, Limey

PS Jim Bow its a left hand drive - came in from San Diego last year and its full of rust!

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 57
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 57
I did my 65 a few years ago.You CAN loosen the clamps if you stand on your head. Be very careful of the gas cap flange. Mine was plastic and I cracked it with my slip-joints while "helping" the hose out.lol Tom


65 C10 292/700R4 long fleet...Gettin closer by the day.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
The filler neck (plastic or steel) and the grommet can be replaced without removing the tank. It is tricky, cumbersome and can be a bit frustrating, buy if you follow the proper sequence of loosening the two hose clamps on the rubber hose connecting the tank neck to the filler neck. I left the cap on the filler neck in order to get a good grip and twisted the filler neck out with the cap attached. Now cut out the old filler neck grommet. The rubber hose will now slide out the hole in the cab.

Replacing these parts requires the sequence to change a bit. Start by inserting the rubber hose with the two hose clamps. Tighten the hose clamp at the tank neck. Leave the other loose until the filler neck is installed and set at the proper clearance. Now lub and install the filler neck grommet. Make sure it is properly seated and indexed with the offset in the opening relative to the offset in the grommet. Now insert the filler neck through the grommet into the rubber hose. Press the filler neck into the hose to the proper depth to allow the cap to be installed and leave a minimun amount of filler neck exposed. Complete the installation by tightening the second hose clamp and installing the fuel cap.

Best of luck with your filler neck woes.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 48
Did this at the weekend exactly as Lilred66 said and it worked a treat. I put the filler tube and grommet in hot water to soften them up and used a little Vaseline to help them together. New grommet looks much neater and I left a minimal amount protruding and the 'GAS' cap nice and straight. Best thing is no fumes in the cab now!

Thanks guys, Limey


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0