Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,304 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | Anyone got a picture of the wiper motor and arms on a 58 gmc. I've got an electric wiper motor on my truck with 4 or 5 wires coming out of it. It's never been hooked up and I'm not even sure it's the right one. So does anyone have a picture they can show me of the right one and how the arms hook up. thanks. Larry
Last edited by LarryW; 11/29/2014 12:19 AM.
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | see the manual [and following pages], what you have is wrong, an original electric wiper motor was the same as the TF Chevy, only wire is one hot lead, control was a cable that moved the mechanical switch on the motor unit .... likely yours isn't hooked up cuz whoever put it in couldn't figure it out  or maybe you have an aftermarket one for Chev, which might be adapted Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | 5 wires, you may have a fancy donor or aftermarket with possibly: Hi (wht), Lo (yel), Park (blu), Batt (red) and ground (grn or blk). If it's made for your transmission arms, they will attach with a spring loaded clip. Bill's PP 150, fig 36. (go back one sheet from his link). Your aftermarket should have the wires coming out of the motor and attaching to the switch. A little playing with continuity of the switch will tell you what terminals control what functions...or it may be marked. Fuse it and hook it up.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | Bartamos, you may be right with your color code. I'll get me a 3 pos switch and try it. It only has one crank end on it to attach a wiper arm that I can see, while standing on my head. I need to put my camera up there and take some better pictures. Larry
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | You may want to take all arms and motor and go to the bench and get it all working with mockup, with blades. Figure all the little problems out, attachments and sweep angles. Then assemble into truck. Much easier in the long run. A little plywood with some holes and you are there. Use a battery charger.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | I pulled the wiper motor and the remaining arm out.
Wiper is an American Bosch 12K 2799 also WWC 12K 785 and then B12 17 71 which I figure is the date it was made.
It only has 3 wires, Red Black Green. The Green goes one rev and stops. If I hook that the grn and black together it will make one rev and stop. The red keeps going. The Black by itself will keep going. The way I tested it using a battery charger with the negative lead to ground on motor and using the Red charger to see what each lead did. Any ideas are greatly appreciated, what kind of switch and where to get power, ACC? Thanks Larry
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | can't say for sure, but usually the motor is insulated from ground by rubber mountings, I think black would be ground .... one rev only would likely be park, you may have a single speed motor
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | The motor was mounted on a homemade mount so who knows. Does anyone have a pic of what is should look like. Larry
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | an original is shown in various pics in the manual I linked above
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | Thanks Bill, I see it now. Larry
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | EDIT....Your Bosch is used by early jeeps. It will need the proper sweep, proper park and proper arm attachment to work. If I were you, I would sell it and get a original donor or aftermarket direct fit from our vendors. Too important and too much jury rigging going on. Ebay has transmission arms and motors all the time. I believe switching from Vacuum to electric means different transmission arms, if that's you. I did find how to wire red grn blk on web but I don't trust it. It is said to be a two speed motor. If you want to chance it, I will post.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | I keep looking at it and thinking it's a lot of work for what it is. I may just do that..Larry
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | |
| |