The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (JW51, 3800GUY, Patina 54, moparguy, Woodcmiami, Otto Skorzeny, John L.), 151 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1065581 10/31/2014 4:12 AM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 178
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 178
Have any of you tried to break down and remove the tires from split rims? I have bias ply ties (with tubes?) and I'd like to remove the tires to sandblast, prep and paint the rims. I was thinking of just cutting off the tires with a sawsall! Is there an easier way? Most of this thinking is based on a $25 a rim quote(times 5 rims)from a semi-truck tire shop just to dismount. Its been hard to find anyone willing to deal with these old (dangerous?) style rims in Denver.


Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 178
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 178
I just spent a half hour on youtube getting schooled. Looks like hard work. The most important thing I learned is to not air them up myself. They need to be caged to make the inflation safe.


Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 396
I have used a Bumper Jack, set on edge of rim bead and under the truck bumper to break the old bead on one side, then turn the target rim over, repeat, When both side beads are broken, the rim can collapse , safety ring removed and tire removed. Have fun, It ain't easy !

Last edited by 1951Chevy1Ton; 11/01/2014 2:09 AM.


Jerry
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
I still use a duckbill hammer to break breads. In fact just last week I demonstrated to a young kid in our shop how to do it. He was just amazed that a 70 year old geezer could knock a 9.00x20 bead down in just 2 licks. Its not how hard you swing, but the angle you hit them and where you hit them.

We couldn't find the RuGlyde, so I took an empty 1 gallon GoJo bottle and filled it almost full with water and shook it real good and poured the whole gallon on the bead and let it soak.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 178
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 178
Thanks for all the help guys, I wish I had one or two of you in the garage today....we could share cold ones and stare at the rims on the floor. I really like the bumper jack idea, too bad I don't have one. Denny, I know what you are saying but I found what I think was a good deal on 5 Firestone white walls online. I think I'll end up with the white walls for shows and get a set of one piece wheels with radials to roam around on. I always appreciate your input Denny, wish me luck.


Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0